Y&R: March 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

I think there will be more than just triangle going. Juliet/cane/lily/jordan/Hilary/devon/Mariah/Kevin (with chloe leaving theyll go back to kevin and mariah in some way) as one big pile a poo. Plus I'm convinced Hilary will have a WTD or there is no point of her offscreen/implied sex with Devon. 

As a family sure. Everything typically spends off someone in one of those families. But no one particular character interacts with the entire canvas, I don't care who it is or who the character is paired with. Jack might be the closest. But everyone else is limited to a core 5. 

Well i think we've all agreed that romantically it's limiting. But as far as being relevant to major story (mostly business), it did not. Which you agreed with a few posts prior. 

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You're probably right. Knowing Y&R they'll use the J/H/D WTD situation to send Mariah back to Kevin and send Juliet back to Asia after causing this years sweeps mandated Lily and Cane breakup.

Victor interacts with everyone. Lauren has spent the better part of the past 15 years in a totally different orbit than most of the Newmans yet who does she run to when Scott needs to be rescued? Grambo.

Jack only interacts with so many characters because previous regimes invented friendships (NEIL), relationships (SHARON) and other relationships (DEVON) with other non-Abbott characters when they realized how isolated Jack was. It was the same with Lauren and Phyllis insta-friendship and Paul and Nina's "relationship."

During their first run they were VERY limited. You'd be hard pressed to find Drucilla having a non-Hastings/Barber/Winters-related relationship (especially once Shemar arrived). And most of Neil & Olivia's interactions (outside of a couple of characters) with non-Hastings/Barber/Winters were decidedly shallow and/or dropped altogether. 

It wasn't until Neil & Drucilla's SECOND run that they weren't AS limited (largely because Drucilla finally became involved in business stories) but every time they (as a couple and/or individuals) proved adept in business the show ALWAYS pulled the rug from under them (both onscreen and off). 

• Members

They seem to want Lily and Hilary fighting over a man they both can sleep with. Otherwise, Lily's position on Hilary dating jordan makes no sense. You'd think she'd be happy hilary is out of her family. Why does Lily care if Hilary sleeps with Jordan? She's reacting the exact same way she did when it was Devon.  It's very odd. The question is, will the show go all the way with Lily and Jordan before his secret is revealed and he disappears without an exit story. But HE WILL disappear without an exit story...that's a given...if he isn't tied to Devon and hilary's story. 

Victor doesn't normally interact with everyone either. They concocted a reason for him to play savior cause the show wants to redeem the character and Sally writes like it's 1990 with victor as the show's big hero. Plus they want the new guy in scenes with main players to build him up. He's writing victor's memoir and tutoring sharon to facilitate it. He also met everyone who came to the undeground last weak except Hilary (the owner of a news program) and jordan. LMBO. 

I agree about the second run. I was very young when the first one occurred so I may not remember it as it was. 

• Members

Y&R wants Lily to have a "rival" so they're doing everything they can to keep Hilary in her orbit which is why there has been more of an emphasis on her feelings about Hilary and Jordan than Hilary and Jordan in general.

There's no way Jordan is sleeping with Lily. A kiss, yes. The full monty, no.

Jordan will largely be used to occupy Lily while the show plays the Cane and Juliet story, Jordan's secret will then be revealed which will alienate Lily,  Juliet will go psycho, Cane and Lily will reunite after Juliet dies/is arrested and Jordan disappears.

Y&R was definitely setting them up for that during their first run but largely abandoned their plans because of ageism and industry trends.

Their second run was helped because they became Y&R's unequivocal minority tentpole couple which is why the show begged Shemar to return and had no problem letting Liv fade away.

It's only been in the last couple of years that Victor hasn't been as frontburner as usual. But even then he maintained his relevance with the younger set via Adam. This memoir story is Braeden winding down without retiring (similar to Jeanne with Amber several years ago).

With Sally's writing it's Nikki that's interacting with more of the canvas than usual. She went from Victor's appendage to soothing matriarch solving everyone's problems. 

• Members

You're correct on Jordan and Hilary being very light. The scenes have no depth and are very short in duration. They speak of nothing but Devon and shallow talk of Hilary's charms. Lily and Jordan seem to have more weight to their scenes. But then Devon and Mariah are just as light. They speak of nothing but Hilary and a replay of Mariah's shock that Devon would look at her twice. Well, I let that slide since it's also a shock to me. 

I figured Juliet would be a catalyst for Lily and cane divorcing. But you're right. What am I thinking? That'd never happen for a Lily/Jordan pairing. 

I don't mind EB taking a step back. The show needs to wean itself off the dependency on him. But I'm not sure if the writing team can pull it off. The pacing, the character actions, the story POVs are all off. 

• Members

You're right about Devon & Mariah also being light but that will most likely change fairly soon. Y&R will use their relationship to torment Hilary leading to her sleeping with Jordan in a moment's weakness (hence the WTD story). Mariah will remove herself from the relationship when she realizes Devon is more into pregnant Hilary over her & Jordan will slowly become closer with Lily once the WTD ends and Hevon inevitably reunites.

UNLESS Hilary marries Jordan (because she refuses to own her residual feelings for Devon) leading to the Winters siblings working together to break J/H up.

There's no way Lily and Cane are divorcing. Y&R LOVES having them as a couple because it allows them to skirt accusations of racism. 

I wouldn't mind it either (provided the actors playing his children could carry the show). However with the second and third Newman generations in such shambles (with no corrective measures in sight) it's best Victor and Nikki remain as they are currently, with him slightly more relaxed and her slightly more assertive. 

• Members

A villain won't help them.  Y&R's response to Nick's failing pairings is to throw Sharon into the mix and people are sick to death of that story device (with good reason).  If anything, Chelsea will be presented as a villain, 'of sorts', when it is revealed that she has known the true paternity of Christian for so long but that won't help their lack of romantic chemistry. And that secret is the only bit of interest that has been generated in their pairing.

Besides Y&R has proved incapable of creating good villains for the past several years.

One character cannot drive story for other characters, then it becomes the story of the character driving the story. For instance, when they often shoehorn Sharon into Nick's relationships with another woman-the story then becames "Well, what's wrong with Sharon?" or "Will Sharon and Nick get together yet again?!" or "What's the relationship between Sharon and [said] woman in Nick's life?"

If Nick and Chelsea are to prove viable in any way, shape or form, they must have/create their own agency to drive their own story.

Lauren and the Fenmore's story should be Exhibit A of what happens to a character when others drive their story, they lose agency quickly, and ownership of the story goes to other characters.

• Members

The show is already tormenting Hilary with Devon and Mariah being this light. Didnt you see mariah and Devon throw their relationship in hilary's face in some of the most heavy handed scenes. Plus

Please register in order to view this content

Kudos to MiM for keeping Hilary from looking totally s.hit upon by her performance (facial expression, body language, line delivery).  

If Devon and Mariah get more depth it'd be for him to play loser in a Kevin and Mariah romance. I doubt it's anything related to Devon/Hilary/jordan/lily.

I wouldn't doubt Hilary marrying Jordan. But whatever happens with them, it'll hinge on Devon and Lily to give it relevance. They can't carry it alone. Two unconnected AA folks paired up is a recipe for disaster that could end with both leaving town together (i.e., Damon Porter reconnecting with his wife). 

The show has tried to move things on from Victor and Adam to Jack and Billy. I judge it a fail. 

Chelsea hasn't been presented as a villain since her entrance story. I'm hard pressed to believe they will do it now. Even when she lied about Connor's paternity, the show made Chloe the heavy, which was the beginning of the end of that character. 

Archived