Y&R: March 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

I'm on the fence at this point.  I agree with @DramatistDreamer @ajsp35801 and @ryanc that the pacing is horrendous. Why aren't they rotating other characters in day-to-day like Hilary/Devon?  Or Sharon?  Mariah?  Ashley?  There's no reason for it and it's gotten worse the last few weeks with the same stories on everyday for a week or two.  What's changed?? 

I mentioned this this before a few weeks ago, but I really used to enjoy how, back in the day, soaps had a pretty standard pacing format.  The lead and c stories were on MWF and the b stories Tu/Thu.  It worked well.  I don't think we will ever get back to that but something has to change.

The writing is so much improved over past regimes.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just caught up with all the episodes, and the pacing does need work. also the balance...but they are doing the little things right. I like how Victor wants to write his biography (taken from the release of Eric's) and how that COULD turn into a compelling story. the Jack/Gloria thing just gives me the creeps (what is it with Jack sleeping with John's wives?) and SSM needs help (I mentioned in another thread that IMPO KA should be Co-HW). it needs work...but it's better than it was under JFP (who should NEVER be allowed to work on a soap again) and Chucky Pratt (one of the worst writers I have seen). 

• Members

Doesnt pacing get handled by breakdown writers?

Find out who the breakdown writers...find out who they are and replace them.  Or swith thwm to another role within the writing team.  I think to be a breakdown writer...you should have to demostrate an ability to balance and pace yourself.  

Bill bell and Marland were great at pacing...they had different plot lines going at different speeds

One would climax, one wpuld be building, and one would be gearing up...along with some filler.

• Members

To be honest I think a lot of fans would have accepted a decent new Victoria. Even online. Heather Tom was always somewhat polarizing and Victoria went through some slow patches as a character even with Heather in the role (especially before Heather's first exit). I think it's just how lifeless the role has become under Heinle. I'd put a lot of that on the writing, and on Y&R clearly not wanting Victoria to be a strong woman, but Heinle does have some responsibility as she mostly seems lackluster in the role. I didn't mind her much until one of her interviews after they brought David Tom back. I was never even a fan of David Tom's, but it rubbed me up the wrong way. 

• Members

Does anyone remember the actress that briefly took over for heather Tom in 1997.  I recall she quit because the show insisted she reaudition for the part.

While she wasnt Victoria, from what i recall..she was much better then AH was.

The one thing about bill bell was that if someone wasnt working..he would fire them right away and keep trying.  He had two actresses playing sharon before Sharon Case.

Plus, I recall before brenda dickson was canned...they had both Jess Walton and Deborah Adair sub when dickson wasnt available to play the part.  Me thinks it was the show's subtle way of auditinoning her replacement..imho.

We need more of that...because AH was all wrong for the part.  I can not believe that she was the best person at the audition back in 2005....same with judith chapman for gloria.

With that said, I do think the actress playing Abby acts more like Victoria used to act.

• Members

I know this is not a very popular opinion, but I was thrilled when I read that she was taking over as Victoria. I hated most of her storylines though, never cared for the marriages to JT and the Billys and all these kids, the WTDs and the endless triangles. After the recast she was written in some ways like the show's new Ashley Abbott, which can be a bad thing sometimes. I like the fact that she is a gorgeous woman who didn't get obsessed with plastic surgery at 28. 

Sometimes viewers get mad that legacy kids are not a carbon copy of their parent. Lily should not be like Dru, she didn't grow up in the streets. Victoria is Victor's daughter, but she can't be exactly like him. I like her as an awkward mother of a teenager who is trying to act like her father, her chemistry with JT's Billy and I enjoy her scenes with everybody from Nikki to Jack and even Cain. It's hard to see her as Victor 2.0 when all her scenes as a businesswoman take place in a school library set with Cain and Billy in detention sharing the same laptop. 

Some people are really mean to her for no real reason. Same goes for the poor guy who plays Kevin.  

• Members

With Amelia Heinle they specifically said they cast her because they wanted to change Victoria, then Heinle said she can't do what Heather Tom did and will play Victoria how she see's fit. I think that's the biggest problem most people have, that she was specifically brought on with no regard for who Victoria is. I feel the writing is much better for her now, but for years the character we've gotten simply isn't Victoria in any way. I actually don't hate her as much as others, but I understand why you're upset. I think she's been better since SSM took over and I can actual stomach to watch her now. 

• Members

Exactly.

The Jill story today was written very well, they were some fantastic scenes and nicely done with the flashbacks.  Will Jill interpret what Colin has done as another betrayal or not?  I vote betrayal and finally be done with him.

I'm not sure, but it's been getting steadily worse each week.  They hired Bibel - is she a breakdown?  Things started going further downhill when I saw her name pop in the credits.

• Members

The only characters I could tolerate during yesterday's show were Michael, Lauren, Nikki and Victor.

I found the rest essentially unwatchable. I don't care about Jill and Colin's relationship, I don't care that Katherine left this ring (let that poor woman rest in peace), I don't care about Cane acting like a giant Australian baby...I just don't care. It's all so lifeless.

Archived