Y&R: March 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wish I could remember more of the time (as I was pretty young) or where I read it more recently as a reminder, but it's been said this version of Jack is actually more in line with the 'original' characterisation. Terry Lester's Jack was more like this. Selfish, rough around the edges, invariably drawn to the wrong woman, at odds with Ashley and ruthless as a businessman. To the point it causes problems. And that it was Peter Bergman's good looks and portrayal that necessitated the change into 'smiling Jack'. 

The habit of losing (to the Newmans) I believe was born out of his feud with Victor. And because it's become so commonplace, and dramatically produces good scenes, consecutive writers have extended the scope of his losses to the Newman children. Case in point, this past week with Victoria.

• Members

Would it have killed the writers to write Nikki seeing this young woman busking outside of CL a few times before she gets the sudden flash of inspiration to bring her and Reed together for a lesson?

Such clunky writing, it makes me ask over and over whether the writers use an actual outline for their stories. It just doesn't seem like they do.

• Members

I was young too but I remember the first Jack as always being desirable even though you knew he was a bad boy. It was almost like a dare for a woman to be with him. Whereas with PB's Jack, I only like him when he's being the better man or a good guy. He's not charming when he's ruthless. TL's Jack was attractive even when he was naughty. He had more sex appeal.

They're really listening to fans. I've seen viewers ask for both Neil, and Devon, to have their own businesses for years, so it's perfect that they are doing this together. Another plus is it will re-establish the father & son bond that was first tarnished by Tyra, then decimated by Tucker, and finished off by sharing Hillary.

Yesterday I saw the Neil I used to know, a father and a highly successful business executive who helped Newman, Jabot, & Chancellor make big money. Victor & Tucker are nasty, ruthless, and constantly break the law. Neil's an honest businessman more like John Abbott. Who better to mentor Devon into being successful?

• Members

Completely agree. Or have her appear a few times in background at CL - without Nikki. Have Sharon befriend her or at least be cool with her hustling for change while playing. Nikki hears her, asks Sharon about her. Sharon gives two-cents, Nikki hires her and when Tessa turns out to be an opportunist, Nikki can blame Sharon, of course. I'm not sure why there was a rush for the insta-teacher. People complained about Pratt being plot-driven, this is exactly the same thing - but worse because it's boring.

• Members

Nah, Sally is slovenly but Pratt was more atrocious. He didn't care about character and he ran roughshod over story.

The reality is that Y&R hasn't had a writer concerned with detailed storytelling in about a decade now. It's all so slipshod, it's like they can't be bothered with details, which is odd since they only have 5 freaking days per week to write story!

Please register in order to view this content

Both SS and Pratt are far from ideal storytellers.

• Members

I didn't understand Jordan's comment to Hilary either at first. It seemed so isolated and out of nowhere. And then in Friday's episode, we get some information from Jordan's conversation with Lily that he's done some seemingly shady things to make ends meet. Could Jordan's comment to Hilary and his past actions be connected?

Archived