Y&R Debuts New Opening Credits

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You couldn't call it cutting edge...

But maybe they were going for a classic vibe.

The font is definitely cheap looking.

Not sure about having the actors in both background and foreground in the same outfits. Maybe they should be different clothes/manner to suggest different facets of the character?

A bit sexist to have the female characters have a motif eg diamonds/flowers etc while the guys get nothing...

• Members

Any updates on additional versions? Does anyone post videos of Y&R openings on YouTube?

I love how the Y&R openings in the 'ole days (up until the black and white version) would include the consistently recurring cast members in the opening. This has become more important as many actors are recurring on the soaps - and still driving stories or are veteran performers. I mean on Y&R you have Jess Walton, Judith Chapman, Tracey Bregman, Kate Linder, Tristan Rogers, and Beth Maitland to name a few. I hope that these guys are featured - especially since it looks like they shot the opening on the day of the cast photo where many of these players were in attendance.

• Members

I like it and was almost expecting to see Sandy Dvore type drawings of the characters when I first watched it. So much better than the poor JFP era update to the 2003 opening back in 2012. However I do agree the font looks cheap and maybe they should have been better off trying to copy the 88-99 style than before showing Da Stafford ©  at the end of the opening unless they'll still paying her off. 

• Members

The font in the open is simple and elegant, and doesn't take away from the backgrounds or actors. 

The open doesn't look cheap or amateurish or homemade, and I have no idea where these kinds of shots are coming from. Most primetime shows barely have more than a bumper card for an opening, and posters take shots at this?

The open AND the show are looking great, and Mal Young has done an excellent job in that regard.

• Members

I spotted yesterday's version and had the following thoughts on the shots:

- Jack: The best he has ever looked - very regal and shoes that Mr. Bergman is still in fine shape after decades on the air

- Phyllis: She never really "hit" a mark in her pose - she kept on shifting and moving

- Billy: Mr. Thompson knows how to pose - but terrible stylist with the bow tie and the vest, I would have said either or. The vest is a very Mr. Thompson look.

- Victoria: The best Amelia has ever looked, even her hair! The dress really moves and looks great on camera.

- Nick: The white jacket seems out of character - I would have gone more casual for this Newman

- Chelsea: I am not sure why they zoomed out so much for her - she looked really small compared to her peers

- Kevin: The lighting is not doing Rickaart any favours - he has such strong bone structure in the face that looked washed out

- Chloe: Elizabeth looked young and fun - great shot

- Michael: Again, the lighting did the man no favors. Good pose though.

I see now what people are saying about the lighting being very harsh. I hope that is fixed in future edits. It looks like someone lit the set not knowing it was going to be shot in HD.

This version has me concerned that we won't get recurring players in this iteration. This is the natural version for Lauren, Traci, Jill, Gloria to be in but they are all missing.

Any forecasts on the remaining versions. I am guess that we'll get two more:

- Version 1: Yes this opened with Victor - but it was more a Winters set with Neil's whole clan

- Version 2: This was a Abbot/Fisher crowd

- Version 3: I am guess that Paul Williams will open this one; this may be a bit of a grab-bag version with Cricket at a minimum

- Version 4: I think we'll get another Newman version with Sharon and some of the younger set like Abby, Summer, Mariah

• Members

They only updated that one twice to have Diamont replace Shemar, have Bashioum deleted, and then discard the entire Christine opening. I was surprised they didn't try to even attempt to keep it fresh and it already had glaring omissions from the get go. The 2003-2012 initially started out fresh from the first few years but by 2007/2008 or so they quit updating it. Traditionally the opening was updated every two years but at least from 1995-1999 the opening was updated every year or in the case of 1997 several times. 

@YRfan23 I do agree with you about Davidson. My favorite Y&R opening from the '90s is one below with MTS head spin closing it out: 

Archived