How much time do we give Sally Sussman before we ask for her firing?

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, they look pretty dire. I'm just scared for the next person. I suppose they could go for Marlene McPherson. People seemed to like her on DAYS and AMC, but I'm not that familiar with her work.

If they go for a Higley type, I'll just go back to ignoring Y&R again.

• Members

McPherson was the classic example of the perils of overhype. Her DAYS was one of the worst-paced and most tin-eared HW stints I can remember. I will always remember it for Chandler Massey shouting 500 times in a row that Sami was a whore, Carrie and Rafe falling in love in about 3 episodes, and Jennifer shaming her husband for being held prisoner and tortured. 

• Members

I'd previously (deliberately) ignored this thread as I didn't want to give credence to the notion that people wanted a head writer change so soon after her stories hit the air. At least 'so soon' at the point it was created.

And just for the sake of clarification, I definitely don't want her gone. The show more resembles the Y&R I loved and adored as a youngster than it has done in over a decade. And the examination of character and motivations (i.e the scenes in themselves) is fascinating. I feel the pieces are nearly in place in order to drive (actual) story going forward. My opinion, of course and I only speak for myself. 

However, I must admit to being slightly concerned about how long Sally Sussman will be given with the loss of viewers, pre-emptions or otherwise.

If the networks listen as much as they appear to at times, and given what happened when they gave Maria Arena Bell, Hogan Sheffer, Scott Hamner, Jill Farren Phelps and Charles Pratt Jr more time than other soaps do, they may decide to take a more 'modern' approach and exercise their option to dismiss sooner than before. 

What it also may do is raise the question of what type of soap/storytelling do viewers in 2017 want to see? It has said before that it may just be the fact that (any resemblance or attempt at) the Bill Bell style doesn't accord with with the tastes and attention span of the 'younger viewer'.

Sadly, for me, it would appear to be true. And if a change were to occur (and with it goes Kay Alden, et al) what does that leave Y&R with option-wise?

Archived