Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I sure do.  

Please register in order to view this content

Benny was always a big fan of folk music, and after ABBA he collaborated with a group of Swedish folk musicians called Orsa Spelmän. They enjoyed it so much that they decided to start a band, which became Benny Anderssons Orkester. They invited other musicians, including Helen Sjöholm, the star of Benny's and Björn's musical "Kristina från Duvemåla" and she became their lead singer. Later Tommy Körberg, another big musical star here, joined as well. (He originated the role of Anatoly in "Chess" in London)

The band started in 2001 and immediately became very popular in Sweden. Most of the musicians have other jobs, many in theatrical orchestras in Stockholm, and BAO (as it's called) is a sideproject for them. They usually come together during the summer and go on tour and attract huge crowds.

So far they've released 10 albums and all but one have reached the top 5 in the Swedish charts, the one who missed peaked at #6. They've also had five #1s on the radio chart Svensktoppen, and one of their songs, "Du är min man" stayed on the chart for 278 weeks and spent 65 of those at #1.

This is probably the most ABBA-like of the songs Benny and Björn (who writes the lyrics, but is otherwise not a member of the band) have written for BAO.

And here with English lyrics.

• Members

Thank you so much. Loved it. Tommy Körberg is amazing and now I must find all his music. New music discovered is the best. It is amazing how much ABBA and especially the work of Ulvaeus and Andersson have been the soundtrack of my life. 

Ah, Chess- had the cassette of the concept album and played it incessantly.  There is a concert on YouTube  from 1989 performed in Sweden with Körberg, Murray Head, Sissel Kyrkjebo, and Judy Kuhn that is phenomenal.  

• Members

This performance by Tommy Körberg always gives me goosebumps. (Sissel on the other hand suffers a bit since the song is in the wrong key for her. She has a breathtakingly beautiful crystal-clear soprano voice normally)

I went to see Chess when it was produced in Stockholm in 2002, with Tommy again as Anatoly, and Helen Sjöholm as Florence. This performance is from a concert though, not the stage production.

Edited by I Am A Swede

• 5 weeks later...