All My Children to Netflix?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Before PP got them up and running there were talks that ABC was gonna do summer seasons of both AMC & OLTL. Like 13 week arcs . Wonder if that is what these rumors are about? maybe llike Soapnet did with GH Nightshift

• Members

I heard on DC and one other blog that I cant remember that ABC was mulling doing summer seasons of AMC & OLTL in 2013. But PP got up and running so that killed that. 

So with the rumors of netflix and how they do serial models for 10-20 episode batches, that could be how we see AMC & OLTL on NETFLIX or maybe a season like GH Nightshift was

• Members

I know some of the cast was burned by the PP debacle, but I would think the likes of Jill Larson, Julia Barr, possibly Debbi and Darnell, would consider coming back under new circumstances. Eva La Rue seems game, and thank god Thorsten Kaye is busy elsewhere. Eden Riegel would probably come back under the same terms as her PP role. I don't want to say any other names because we really have no way of knowing who would come back or not at this point, but I don't think it would be dire straits.

ATWT, meanwhile, I love the show, but I'm assuming all of its vets like Kathryn Hays, Don Hastings, Eileen Fulton, Liz Hubbard, etc. are happily retired. I don't think any of the younger cast (like under-35 at the time of the show's cancellation) would be caught dead returning to ATWT, and most of the core cast keeps busy with other projects. That's the show that would be pretty hard to cast, IMO.

• Members

Well if it's short seasons like 10 episodes, I could see some of the older actor's on ATWT do something for a few episodes here and there.

AMC has no DC, JY, or other's. Cam Mat could do a few here and there but I doubt it with him doing Hallmark movies & whatnot, Lish seems to have alot going on,. Vincent's on DOOL, and would Cady want to return again? Possibly but I dunno.

• Members

Jacob Young's character was already recast the last go-round, so they can move forward without him. DC is a huge loss, but it's a natural one - had the show lived in 2011 or 2013, we still would have had to say goodbye to him and his characters. Cameron wasn't on the PP show, and as much as I personally love the guy, how many people missed him and Ryan? Alicia popped in a few times - I see no reason why she wouldn't be able to again if she would be needed. Cady would or would not return - we really have no way of knowing.

I would be most concerned with yet again having to build a younger cast. They did such a good job last time but could that be replicated?

• Members

TBH, they did it and the reboots were good and they need to move on. The cast has moved on at this point, if anything we'll get a new cast reboot and these soaps are too recent for that. The shows ripe for reboots that would be successful are Passions, Dark Shadows and Edge of Night. They're all good concept shows that could easily be adapted. Nobody can convince me Passions or Dark Shadows wouldn't be huge rebooted for Netflix and Hulu. 

• Members

I think what worked best about Dark Shadows is in the original. The remake just went too dark too fast and the film - not even commenting on that. 

Passions lived and died with JER. I'm not sure what you could do with it now. 

I think EON, OLTL, and Guiding Light are the shows that could be rebooted most easily.

• Members

This touches on why my reaction to talks of reboots is a "meh." Life has moved on. Any reboot would basically be a whole new show using an old name with a few familiar faces. Of course Degrassi made that work so maybe AMC could too. For me David Canary's death was kind of the moment I decided that I'm happy to stick with my memories.

Archived