Y&R: February 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

And I wish this show would realize that Joshua Morrow is the common denominator in all these flops and can his ass.  If they keep having to throw Sharon into the mix, it ain't because JM and Sharon Case work so well together or that Nick and Sharon are soulmates.  It's because that frat boy is a black hole of acting and chemistry.

Wait, so...Jill is broke?  WTF??  Is she going back to work at a nail salon?

Outside of Victor, I think, Ashley has always had difficulties in the romance department.  I guess Ravi shouldn't be any different.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I would get rid of Morrow, but more because of the games he and Stafford played over "Phick" and over his general mediocrity than over chemistry issues. MCE has had chemistry with approximately one person in her entire forgettable daytime career. Morrow at least managed it with two or three...which is also more than most of Y&R's current slate of men have managed through their careers.

• Members

I got trashed a couple of times, but I'll say this.  Maybe they're correct.  I said my opinion, but I know nothing.  I only watched in the 70's 80's and up to around 96.  I stopped for years, then tuned in again about 3 years ago.  I've said that.  But - clearly I know nothing.  Common element in what I'm seeing - zero Chemistry on this show.  Among most/all actors.  I have no idea if it's the writing, acting, or lack of interest or what it is.  There is NO chemistry among most actors/actresses on this show.  It's like none of them want to be there.  I don't even know how to explain it.  But what I'll say is this - when this post gets trashed - trust me, I have NO idea what I'm talking about.  I only watched in the 70's, 80's, and to the mid 90's.  The show is pulling the lowest ratings ---- EVER.  Lower than when it AIRED the first day.  So if we *itch and Gripe - we have NO IDEA what we're talking about.  SADLY every other show is in the same boat.  But I don't think I'm nuts for pointing this out.  And when people *ITCH that I'm *ITCHING....maybe you should think about the days/weeks etc. when we STOP POSTING.  THEN you'll realize....no ONE IS WATCHING. 

• Members

I do agree that this show is lacking in the romance/sex department. Y&R was never all about couples, but they always had some good ones at any given time. I've said before I can't think of one couple on this show that I'm truly rooting for.  I kind of like Devon and Hillary, but they need a reset.  So I think the problem is partly the writing, but there is a lack of interesting men too.

• Members

They're interrelated problems. Better stories create opportunities for better character development and vice versa.

But the biggest problem with Y&R is that the current regime is not dealing with the fact that the last 15 years has decimated Y&R's existing archetypes (archetypes that could've conceivably created endless stories) while simultaneously relying on destructive habits developed in the past decade & a half.

The current regime has tried slowly tweaking some of the characters to adjust to the new reality but it hasn't worked because there is no overarching larger vision for the canvas. There are small moments day to day that work (their reset of the Newman Family being one of their more noteworthy accomplishments) but that's largely because there are so many Newmans currently on the canvas rather than particularly good writing.

They are also still skipping important character beats to rush to story climaxes.

The Fenmore's story would've been solely focused on the importance of Fenmore's to the Fenmore family (as a whole) beyond a few hollow cliches from Lauren. Instead the current regime is trying to weave about a dozen half formed stories into a compelling umbrella story which is just not working.

• Members

Yep. This. I wouldn't say Cane until just recently but it's been an overload on them. Victoria's had one day off this month. That's it. Meanwhile other actors only have 1 or 2 appearances.

Balance could be a lot better. I also think there needs to be slightly better continuity day to day. Too many characters appear in one episode but then not the next. Between Monday and Tuesday's episode I felt like I missed an episode or two and that there should have been followup to some things.

• Members

The previous regime(s) successfully ignored Cane, almost nothing happened to him ever since his last (of numerous) retcons. It's sad that Sally sees (or is forced to see) potential in such a character. Lily, meanwhile, I've learned to live with.

Billy has also had only one day off this month. The balance was great last month, but this time around not so much.

• Members

That's true. January was much better in terms of balance. Much.

I feel like she's being forced to write for them but who knows?

I just think the stories are all sort of a ... miss and stories for some characters should be given to others. It doesn't help that they have several meh actors on the cast and many of them have had such poor writing ...

Involving Billy with Jill though was smart. I wasn't here for him sniffing around Victoria and butting into her relationship with Reed and using it as a means to try and get back in with her. I much prefer him in scenes with Jill/JW. They have great mother/son chemistry, IMO. They look like they could be related.

And I've said it before but Sally is clearly wanting to write for characters that were in a different place 10/12 years ago when she was last around.

Archived