Y&R: February 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

In regards to Jill...she always had a drive to rise above her working class background.  

In fact, the abbotts were introduced when Jill applied for a job at Jabot and Jack didnt think she was qualified to work there.  From what i was told, one of her arguments for working there was due to her experience working in nail salons, talking to the wealthy clientele and knowing what they liked and didnt like.

Hilary has always reminded me of Nina...chip on her shoulder...her worst enemy...etc.

I think even the show knows AH isnt capable of playing certain aspects of victoria.  During the years nina was visitinf...neither character ever interacted....and in the past...those two characters were frienimies in the 90s.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Watching nowadays, you'd never know that Nina and Victoria had such a storied history together. 

I don't think they keep them apart because of AH's perceived lack of abilities, but because that history is not a part of what they are selling for the "new" Victoria. 

• Members

This is going to sound silly most likely - but can we please get rid of the name/line "Brash N' SASSY!"???  I just thought it was stupid from the beginning and now it seems like it's been decades.  I don't know of a teenage girl or college girl that would buy cosmetics named Brash N' Sassy.  I didn't then, and I don't know.  I can't believe it's still around.  But, I was a Marketing major...I remember choking the first time they said it years ago...

• Members

Heather Tom left the show in the WINTER of 2003. Victoria's last serious pairing (Victoria/Diego) broke up in the SPRING of 2003.

Sharon Case left the show in the SPRING of 2003 (along with Lauren Woodland) & returned a few months later that same year in the early SUMMER (after successful contract negotiations).

Case's return IMMEDIATELY coincides with Nick & Sharon being freshly promoted as the younger Newman leads with Victor having Victoria & Nick work together on Safra together (but favoring Nick the entire time) & Sharon fighting with Nikki & Victoria while re-establishing herself at the Tack House. Sharon spent the majority of the fall learning of Abby's paternity & planning a society dinner at the Ranch.

During that time Victoria spent the majority of her time trying to establish Safra at Newman (while being sabotaged by her father) & briefly flirting/dating Keith Hamilton Cobb & Brody Hutzler. During the aftermath of Victor cheating to beat Jabot & Ashley's accident in the FALL of 2003 Victoria began falling for Michael (Victor's lawyer).

When Victoria realized that Victor really did sabotage Jabot she washed her hands of her father & brother and went to live in Europe.

The Cameron Kirsten saga doesn't even BEGIN until the WINTER of 2003 (right around the time Heather Tom leaves) & doesn't moving in earnest until 2004.

Jill spent decades working to establish herself as a reputable businesswoman. Cane has been working in the corporate world a couple of years (at the most). The idea that he and Jill are remotely comparable is offensive.

The Brad and Cane comparison fits better because Brad was as much a lying opportunist as Cane. Plus the majority of their success came via their familial connections & their motives were always questionable.

• Members

Right?

During his time as headwriter Brittany became a lead.

In the span of a year & a half she went from hanging out in the loft with the Glow By Jabot crew to living at the Ranch and fighting with Nikki. If he hadn't had to cut her & Enos to make room for an unnecessary expense she would probably still be on the show.

• Members

Cane has worked in the business world off and on since he came to town. He was given the job as CEO of CI as soon as he was said to be P3. He also worked there when McCall Unlimited had the hostile take over while Neil was CEO. It was during that time he embezzled money to pay some blackmailer. He was a top exec at Jabot after that for a while and was upset that Jack chose neil to run Jabot while he handled his pill addiction. I agree that Caneleb Ashbykinson is much like Brad as opposed to Jill but it's not cause he lacks business experience or doesn't work hard. I've hated it but they've always portrayed that grifter as a competent businessman. 

I was always very puzzled over how Brittney was used on the show. It was such an odd transition. 

• Members

Cane working in business has never felt right. But then nothing about the character feels authentic. I'll never be able to buy him or his 1,054,345,436,336,354 backstories as anything other than a grifter.

With AshBash & Lyndsy Fonseca MIA Woodland's Brittany became Y&R's younger (anti)heroine. It worked for awhile (thanks in major part to David Lago) but once Y&R stupidly wasted Enos on her it was time for the Hodges to go.

• Members

Here we go again. Jill has no money. Are we going to see her do nails again? That's always good for a laugh.

Turns out Colin is the exact same character as Jeffery, and the same exact thing just happened to Gloria. Last time Gloria had to scrub floors and iron clothes because that's hilarious too. Once women hit the age of 60 they must become awfully stupid, or so desperate for a man that they will deal with anything.

It's funny that the wealthy male characters deal with any gold digger tendencies of their female partners long before anything serious happens. Even Devon, who is in in young 20s and is brand new to wealth, knows how to deal with, and protect against, any love interest taking advantage of him. I don't see the men having to be paperboys, garbage men, or perform other humiliating manual labor duties for being stupid enough to be taken advantage of by some scheming female. 

Jill knew full well how sneaky Colin was, even with her. It wasn't that long ago he held her hostage. Yet we are supposed to believe she isn't smart enough to keep her money safe from him. Or that she's such a spaceshot she never looks at the balances of her personal accounts. 

Jill buying Jack's share of Fenmore's really would have set off a firestorm between Jill & Lauren, but it looks like that can't happen now.  Will Jill losing her money lead to an exciting story or is this just a way to sideline her? I'm not optimistic.

Archived