Y&R: February 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How long ago was that taken? I see Tamara Tunie (ATWT), I think I see Angell Conwell. I see Tonya Lee Williams. Hmm, interesting. I'm going to keep my thoughts about this to myself for now and just say, 'Gee, interesting photo'. 

It even looks as though they got Phil Morris in there. Boy, they really brought in several characters (and their portrayers)  from out of the margins.

I guess they didn't want to be accused of being #CBSSoWhite.

• Members

I'm not enjoying the show right now either, but I'm willing to hang in there to see where things go. It's not that the show is slow as much as the canvas is just so *weak* and uninspired right now. There are far too many nothing characters and charisma-free, listless actors hogging airtime. This is a show that has had vibrant characters like Dru, Olivia, Mamie, HT's Victoria, AD's Diane, Jill, Katherine, Nikki, and Nina. They were played by captivating actors. I was excited to watch these characters, even if they weren't in brilliant, front burner stories. They were bold and indelible. I just liked spending time with them, seeing what they'd do or say next even in small scenes. Just watching Diane and Nikki spar was a thing of wonder. 

I'm just not excited by Nick, Sharon, AH's energy-free Victoria and her kids, Billy (who is being damaged with every recast), Cane, Lily, and Jack. I want to like Devon and Hillary, but they are a one-note snooze. Ashley and Ravi just feel like filler. I need Michael and Lauren to find some of their '80s/'90s ruthlessness again. I need GT's Phyllis to be sexier and more cutthroat. The less said about Chelsea, Chloe, Kevin, and Abby the better, but Sally doesn't seem that interested in them. Mariah could be a fun sarcastic, ballsy heroine, but she's being written like some beleaguered '90s working girl sitcom character.

I just don't care about the show or these characters right now. But this show has been so thoroughly gutted in the past decade that it would be near miraculous for Sally to salvage it. But who else could do it? She's our last shot.

• Members

I agree with a couple of your comments, but not most. I do understand where you're coming from, though.

What I do have a problem with is your overall tone, which casts a gloomy pall over the entire show. It feels like you're at a funeral, describing the last sad months of someone's life. I simply don't think that's a fair assessment, and I don't think it's a correct one.

• Members

So I either have to accept them as "exciting must see tv" or not??? Without explanation or nuance???

Forget it. I'm not answering biased questions that give you the answer you want. I know you pretty much hate everything on Y&R, and I'm not playing that game.

Archived