TMZ: Mary Tyler Moore 'In Grave Condition'

BetterForgotten

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here's what I posted on FB:

"To say 'The Mary Tyler Moore Show' saved my life seems ridiculous...but it's true.  I survived being picked on at school everyday, because I had MTMS reruns to look forward to every night.  So, thank you, God; thank you, Nick-at-Nite; thank you, Jim Brooks, Allan Burns, and everyone else who made MTMS the standard bearer for all sitcoms that followed; and of course, thank you, Mary, for taking the nothing days in my young life and making them all seem worthwhile."

• Members

I didn't realize just how much MTM's passing would impact me, more so than a lot of the recent celebrity deaths. It goes to show what a powerful medium television is and can be - I wasn't even alive when TMTMS ended, but through reruns, I felt like I knew Mary and she and her show bought so much enjoyment into my life. 

Also, goes to show that quality writing and acting transcends age. I was in grade school when I first started watching the reruns of TMTMS, but I always knew there was something special about the quality of the writing and acting that I rarely saw anywhere else.

I have to admit, I'll probably be extra emotional the next time I watch the finale episode's last scene with Mary taking one last look at the office and turning off the lights...

• Members

What always gets me about that last scene is how unapologetically emotional it is. Today on a sitcom you'd have to have layers and layers of irony and sneering, cutesy one-liners, etc. They didn't need any of that to say goodbye to us. 

• Members

I hadn't seen this before - Mary winning her first Lead Actress Emmy for TMTMS (she had won twice before for TDVDS). Florence Henderson is one of the presenters - hard to believe they're both gone now.

Her "Category A, Category, Category A" comment apparently referred to the sweep the show had that year with Valerie Harper, Ted Knight, and Jay Sandrich (director) all winning previously that evening. Though it wouldn't be until 1975 (in its 5th season) when the show would win its first of 3 consecutive Emmy's for Outstanding Comedy Series. 

• Members

I remember every last one of those promos, BF. Crazy how things just stick with you through the years.

I wish the MTM family of sitcoms was more visible in reruns today. Mary and Bob are on MeTV but buried in late night once a week. It just seems like Mary, at least, would be commanding a prime slot on one of these networks. When I think classic TV, it just belongs to an elite group of shows that embody "reruns" and should be seen more.

Archived