Classic Y&R Episode Counts: May 1998

• Members

LOL Your memory's good! God, that whole Cole/Ashley thing was horrible. To sleep with Victoria's husband and then all the rest. Just, no.

That makes sense!

Please register in order to view this content

I think they just took advantage of their shared past to give someone for Jill to talk to, since Jack was otherwise occupied and Katherine was busy having flashbacks. In any case, a surprising move and nice character interaction.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This VHS tape probably buried deep in storage(when you forget what's in your storage unit or parents' basement) or worse may have been videotaped by accident but for several years I remember I had the 10/31/97 eps of B&B, Y&R, and GL on tape. On B&B you had Stephanie push Sally into Lake Como while on GL you had Roy show up at the Bauer's for Halloween to taunt his assault victim Abby but was on Y&R that day you may ask @YRfan23 @YRBB and @DRW50? You had Victor come visit Ashley the lab and him accidentally let lit slip he thinks Cole has been seeing another women while Victoria's been gone and now that Victoria is back the marriage is in trouble, which of course let Shattuck's Ashley grovel that she is the other woman! The entire episode was brought down by those lab scenes, not even a  discombobulated Braeden could not make it convincing or raise the scenes up as he was clearly confused as over how to respond to Shattuck's Ashley making such a reveal that he had to make a Drake Hogestyn type of face.

• Members

haha that sounds hilarious...Shari had the best acting partner in her husband at the time didn't she??

Please register in order to view this content

I remember you said you had some 1995 dates too, ones dealing with Nick getting arrested for Matt's attempted murder?

• Members

I do indeed have a couple 1995 eps from early August '95! The one tape I know is my home VHS collection in my basement is the 8/4/95 ep where Brad and Nikki return to Genoa City after their time away at the cabin only to face the music (Nikki learns that Nick is in jail and is frantic for info and Brad finds out that Jack finished Brad's deal and acquisition in Brad's absence with Victor's blessing.)

• Members

I remember the long defunct Soap Opera Question Corner message board I use to lurk in back then questioning why Ashley was still even a character and if the show was planning on getting rid of her while I think it was either  SOD or SOU(or both!) gave it a thumbs down, the reveal and scenes were THAT BAD. Davidson and Epperson at least kept Ashley viable enough to be at times the #2 heroine at least behind Nikki or least being among the top five leading women but with Shattuck's Ashley I think one would have even rated her behind Lynne it was that bad. 

The first half of 1997 was pretty bad with confusing multiple recasts and tiresome stories but the second half of 1997 made up for it with Danny vs. Phyllis and the return of Michael, "Sarah" the maid, propositioning Jack and Jill, Nina's suicide attempt, and Nikki's decision to meddle in Victor and Diane's marriage at least provided building blocks for Y&R's bronze era. 

• Members

I remember at the time thinking that the Cole story was the first time they seemed to get out of something of the rut of SS Ashley, but I wonder if I was just so pleased to have Heather Tom back.

I don't know if you saw it or not but I put a 1990 episode in the classic thread yesterday. 

• Members

I think in many ways Bill Bell was beyond burned out, at least by mid 1996....I guess one could argue a little before, but based on how off track (but miles ahead of other regimes to  come) 1996-1997 seemed, it was definitely  time to go....

• Members

In hindsight, Ashley should've remained off the show from Brenda Epperson's departure at the end of 1995 until Eileen Davidson came back in the spring of 1999. We would've been spared LOL. Seriously, every storyline of Ashley's from 1996-1998 tanked.

• Members

The amazing thing was how much Ashley was immediately revitalized when Eileen returned.

Her Ashley fit right back into the canvas as if she'd never left.

Her return also provided one of my favorite things about that era. You could pair any combo of Victor's ex's (especially the wives) in a scene & get gold.

• Members

The highlight of 1996 was "Who Shot Victor" and once that story wrapped up, yeah that's when everything went off track for a good 8-9 months.

Come to think of it, maybe the Victor shooting was done to accommodate Eric Braeden taking time off for his role in Titanic. I mean, Victor gets shot and lies in a hospital bed, those scenes can easily be pre-taped and put together, and the viewers can't tell that Victor is MIA.

• Members

That sounds about right...to me it was just an odd period where every younger character at the time took more center stage, and some of the more beloved vets like Jill, Katherine, Nikki etc....got more of the side stories.............

That's an interesting point....I was wondering when Braeden took time off for Titantic that year, so his shooting would make sense with all the pre-taping...

• Members

I totally agree. 

The first half of 1996 was terrific, though: loved the Keesha AIDS storyline, the Audrey North stuff (which went nowhere though), Victor's shooting... I think they even hinted at Patty Williams with two or three episodes with a mystery woman in a telephone booth. It was dropped of course - like the second half of 1996 felt realllllly droppable or half-assed.

Archived