Netflix: One Day at a Time

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That really was wonderful...I'm so disappointed Justina didn't jump in the air like Bonnie Franklin did in the first season though.

I couldn't figure out if Marcel was supposed to be Valerie Bertinelli or Glenn Scarpelli.

I wonder who Ned Nyerson was supposed to be...

• Members

Yeah, Marcel is playing Valerie. It was a scene-by-scene recreation of the original show's Season 2 opening.

Check out this interview from CBS This Morning with Rita Moreno. I think it's from January of this year. I stumbled on it while watching some clips on YouTube. Rita is hilarious and wonderful like I expected but go to the end of the video and watch Charlie Rose get a Marilyn Monroe-esque number from Rita as Lydia, and then hear Gayle and Norah joke about where Charlie puts his hands, or something along those lines. It's really creepy knowing what we know now. But seeing all these old things from Matt Lauer and now Rose, and others, it was there the whole time, staring at us right in the face.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

I think they made a pretty brilliant decision to write this incarnation's Alex as a combination of Barbara and the original Alex. I suspect I may be one of the few who actually appreciated what Alex brought to the original show, especially with MP gone, so I'm glad they considered his role and did the best they could to include him.

I'm curious. If this really lasts, will they attempt to bring in a "Max" or "Mark" or just go in a new direction completely? Elena's sexuality changes a lot of that, which is great because it's one of those things that allows this to stand on its own without relying too much on the source material (and inviting more criticism because of it). I'm just really looking forward to watching this for many years to come and seeing the kids grow up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Initially, Glenn Scarpelli was a fine addition to the show.  However, I hated the narrative hoops that showrunners Dick Bensfield and Perry Grant made us jump through in order to be okay with him STAYING after they had killed off Ron Rifkin's character.  I mean, if Glenn was so valuable to the show, then why in the hell did you kill off his on-screen dad?  And was it all worth the proverbial headache when they ended up writing out Alex anyway (allegedly, because Bonnie Franklin was jealous)?