RUMOR: CBS looking to buy Sony television, could acquire Days?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

IF CBS acquires DAYS, I could see them moving it to the CBS All-Access - the launch of The Good Fight and Star Trek is not enough new content to get people to pay. DAYS really doesn't have much longer to last. It may go the route of Passion on DirectTV. Of course, CBS could license it to NBC - it's not like others don't do it in prime time all the time - FOX does it with their comedies, etc. 

• Members

CBS will drop Let's Make a Deal for Days, just watch. I like LMaD but I've suspected from day 1 that it's purpose was to be a placeholder until CBS could get Days.

The CBS Daytime lineup could look like this (all times ET):
11 am - The Price is Right

noon - local news

12:30 pm - Y&R

1:30 pm - B&B

2 pm - Days

3 pm - The Talk

• Members

To clarify, the rumor is that CBS Corporation is acquiring Sony Pictures Television - so this actually has nothing at all to do with CBS the TV network or NBC the TV network. If it happens, I doubt DAYS would be affected at all. The only "big" thing could be a bump in the licensing fee that would drive NBC to drop the show and Sony to cancel.

• Members

I could see CBS pushing DAYS on All Access. I don't know if CBS wants the expense of 3 soaps on their broadcast network (although if Days gets higher ratings than LMAD, I could see them pushing the game show off) but I could see them trying to get a well known soap with a built-in loyal fanbase for their digital platform, which they are clearly trying to boost.

Didn't CBS All Access begin original programming with that spinoff of The Good Wife? I think CBS is trying to get competitive with Hulu.

ETA--Wait, so Days is not a part of Sony Pictures Television??

• Members

This article fails to recognize that in the Victoria Rowell litigation, Sony's own motion stated that it is not a producer of DAYS. Sony is the distributor of DAYS and has a minority interest in the show. 

What a purchase of Sony Television by CBS would result in is CBS owning Y&R. CBS would have an opportunity to take DAYS to CBS as a natural transition between distribution company and network but Corday Productions Inc. would remain the owner, unless Ken Corday sold the show, which is hard to predict. 

• Members

Yes, it is. But even IF CBS buys Sony Pictures Television, the company behind both Days/Y&R, it doesn't mean Days would switch networks. Think of it like prime time: I believe Modern Family is actually produced by Fox but airs on ABC. Same deal here.

• Members

The slap in the face to ATWT and GL fans was P&G and CBS slowly letting the shows die, then the disgusting Moonves smugging it up in the press over the shows being replaced by his wife's talk show. DAYS replacing them 8 years later doesn't really compare to me.

Archived