Y&R January 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can't take either character seriously. I have stopped caring about both.  Neither work as parents. They are too immature to be in relationships or have children.

Ugh...I am so sick of Faith. And Nick's talk about Victor entering her in chess championships...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Members

They don't have to work this hard. Joshua Morrow has a natural charm and Nick just got his son back after thinking he was dead for a year, he's inherently sympathetic. The way they're portraying him he just looks dumb.

Your mother has to tell you to get a nanny? You've RAISED CHILDREN BEFORE.

• Members

I think the writers are focusing on boring family & unnecessary like Gloria. I can't wait until SS get fired for making Y&R the Gloria show. 

If I was a writer. I'll fire AH, CK, the guy who played Kevin, & Gloria. & show less of the Newman, there too many on the scene & none of them is doing anything of importance. They not moving stories along.

• Members

Questions all:

1.) Are we sure that Dylan is going to die?

I mean, I thought that the thing that had consequences (as predicted in a spoiler) actually happened today where Dylan ends up sleeping with this drug moll to prove himself. The leaving of his wedding ring was symbolic that he would eventually break his vow and in a way, Sharon, by calling him, precipitated this event.

Still, it was annoying as hell to watch Sharon do this, not thinking again and her hasty action setting his infidelity in motion. So I guess the writers can say Dylan cheating on Sharon is her fault (SB probably had that written into his exit clause

Please register in order to view this content

).

Also,

2.) No shade but does Y&R have any writers under the age of 50?  Under the age of 45?

I've always known that Y&R was one of the more conservative soaps but the last 9-10 years, the writing has seemed particularly out of touch.

I mean, come on, Nick and Victoria as frazzled parents, Nick balancing a child on a hip while trying to do inventory at his bar? Victoria trying to take business calls, yelling over blaring electric guitar?!  Victoria doesn't have a garage? Nick can't afford a full time nanny?

These are not working class or even middle class people- they're freaking heirs to a billion dollar industry titan!! Why the hell is Y&R trying to give them middle class/working class storylines?? It simply doesn't work!

Maybe the writers are all too much in the Burbank, Hollywood, L.A. bubble. When William Bell Sr. started the show, he was still living in Chicago, maybe it was for a reason that he stayed so long there-maybe to remain connected and not isolated for as long as he can. In the age of Skype and so many writing software that allows online sharing, Y&R can hire writers anywhere, they need to cast a wider, more diverse net. The writing shows how disconnected they are.

Still though, I agree that Y&R is in fact, better than most everything on the show in the last 9 or 10 years.

I will say that SS and KA are similar to JG, in that you can see the promise of good storylines that the begin but somewhere along the way, something goes amiss, whether it's a weak premise (that damn tripping incident that became a huge scandal) or beating a dead horse (yes, we know that Victor is now a loving doting father/grandfather, now move on) or just letting a story lag too long (is there anything truly happening with Fenmore's?) or giving too much story to the wrong characters (Gloria). And nobody's doing sh*t to improve Sharon and how she's perceived (spend as much time as you did on Victor, SS/KA).

I think it's so frustrating to watch because many of these storylines with some tweaking could be truly great.

• Members

I'm with you DD, I think Dylan will live. Seems like he's going to be ashamed of cheating on Sharon and decide not to come back to town. They should have just had him leave after the Sully reveal. From my POV, Sharon is written better.  Yes, this was a screw up, but she's not acting nutty.

Couldn't agree more about trying to make Victoria and Nick play middle class stories. If you want those stories introduce a family that makes that believable. This show is pretty inbred. It could really use a new family.

• Members

They have improved Sharon is some ways but when you compare how much time they have spent rehabbing Victor's character, Sharon is still a pariah, when Victor has committed far worse atrocities.

Oh, did anyone catch it?  It's official- what most of us knew (except for the folks in severer denial)--

that Victor and Chelsea are hiding the fact Christian and Connor are brothers!!  I suspect that this is a large part of why Chelsea is adamant in not getting intimate with Nick (platonic, my eye!

Please register in order to view this content

) She doesn't want to risk getting too close and not being able to quell that nagging feeling that she ought to fess up.

Archived