Y&R January 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Andy & Diane were great. They were a solid (but not boring) couple and made a fun foursome with Paul/Lauren. She brought out a sexy side to him & he grounded her (as a couple they weren't all that different that Devon & Hillary now). She was heartbroken when she found out he'd fallen in love with Fallon in her absence.

• Members

Completely agree. There scenes were ridiculous today.  Does Victoria really need Billy to convince her to try to get custody of Reed. That was completely contrived.

Overall it was a good episode though. I like new Reed. Maybe it's watching Days and the awful "teen" actors they have, but I think Reed is pretty good.

• Members

I like the new Reed too. I can't get over how much he looks like Michael Graziadei though.

It was soooo contrived having Billy barge his way into Victoria's and spouting his opinion. This coupling is holding both characters back immensely. Heinle's rolled out of bed lazy acting doesn't help either.

• Members

I got a chance to watch today's episode last night and ITA, there was noticable improvement in their interaction. 

This new Reed impressed me. He came off as natural, a teen capable of angst but not OTT, he played the beats in the dialogue quite well.

This may not be a popular opinion, but I think Hillary's combativeness and defensiveness worked well in those scenes with Neil. It also made for a good contrast when she broke down after learning what happened to Devon.

Boy, you can truly see the British soap influence in that sequence where Devon was found and carted off through the ER to the OR.

Sharon seems more like Sharon these days and her tone seems in keeping with a concerned Mother of a grown young woman, who has lived life on her own. Not goading or judging but advising her of the fallout and Mariah's response that Sharon's advice came too late was fitting for Mariah's character as well as the scene.

The only thing I really wished would of happened, that there was a brief scene with Sharon trying to call Nikki, perhaps to intervene to try to stop Dylan from leaving. It may have added another layer, to see Nikki either try and fail to convince Dylan to stay or just miss the call and not get there in time. As it is, I'm hoping that Nikki won't blame Sharon for not telling her (which Y&R is often wont to do, blame Sharon) because it's often been done to death and it's not interesting to watch.

For the record, I still think that the premise of Mariah being tripped by Hillary causing this operatic level fallout is utterly ridiculous, but in isolation, the scenes surround the fallout itself were interesting to watch in this episode.

• Members

I had already forgotten they were paired. Who paired them? I was half paying attention to Y&R.

Me too...she has finally stop going off the deep end....LOL. Its a nice refreshing change.

Haters?? Really?...ugh

She's always been like that...LOL...a b!tch

Agreed...another Reed fan here too.

I loved those scenes. I thought it was going to be the same scenes you see after a crash but I thought that was brilliantly done.

• Members

Gosh how perfect was SC today? She had a lot of solid if not earthshaking material. I loved her talk with Mariah. Sharon was a real mother not wanting her to sink to Hilary's levels. I loved the comeback that Dylan can fight his own battles when Mariah said it was for him too. It's taking time but they are really making progress on fixing key characters. While they're very little in terms of meaty stories, you have to have clearly defined and rootable characters to make those work. 

• Members

Their initial flirtation was Jack Smith.

Their rest of their relationship (including Heinle going into a coma after getting hit in the head with a fake brick) was LML.

I agree with everyone that Sharon was much improved today. Sharon Case works wonders when she isn't forced to do her crazy routine.

And with Mariah, Noah, Abby, Summer, Faith, Reed, Kate, Johnny, Christian & Connor around there are way too many Newman kids on the canvas right now.

Archived