Singer George Michael Dead At 53

Roman

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I read somewhere that he wrote Careless Whisper at 17. I read he was only 19 when Wham! hit the big time.

Did anyone see this?  George Michael rehearsing with Queen with David Bowie and Seal watching in the background. No one could've known that David Bowie and George Michael would die in the same year.  The backstory was written about here. http://www.vulture.com/2016/12/watch-george-michael-rehearse-somebody-to-love.html

• Members

The funny thing is is when I was a kid, George was the male pop star I most wanted to be like, lol. His influence on modern pop is so underrated - people like Justin Timberlake and Justin Bieber (who are nowhere as talented btw) owe more to him than Michael Jackson (who they always cite). 

With Prince and George dying in the same year, it really is the end of the massive 80's/early 90's pop star/MTV era. Madonna's really the last one standing from that era with any lasting cultural impact. 

• Members

@BetterForgotten I'd really have to disagree with you about Janet. Control was pretty big and Rhythm Nation 1814 was pretty big and Janet Jackson had carved out her own space in choreography, other than Michael, very few could live with her in terms of her stage shows and music video choreography that everyone wanted to copy. In the video music age, that was pretty big.

Of the places I'd been to in the 90s (North America and parts of Europe), she was pretty big there.

ETA. I'm seeing how many times I keep saying "pretty big". I feel like Larry David.

Archived