DAYS: December 2016 Discussion Thread

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Love love love Nancy! So happy they've been using her and Laura for guest stints here and there.

I get it's a soap but why are these people acting like Adrienne is already dead? IDK, it's like they're already dooming her. Cancer treatments have come a very long way. I know someone going through cancer right now and my Aunt went through breast cancer TWICE and was just having the time of her life on a cruise. I just think they could push the "you can fight this" and be a little more supportive ... but it just happened. IDK. It's just rubbing me the wrong way.

Higley likes her ladies weak and in need of a penis. I'd have hoped Quan could balance her out.

• Members

Ugh.

And that montage at the end? I know they're going for emotion but it's all just so ... flat to me. They act like she just got told she has a day to live or something. Damn. Just way overdone IMHO. I'm not saying they need to throw a party and say "WAHOOO CANCER! LET'S BEAT THIS THING!" but lord ...

It just screams plot and a way to drag out the triangle that doesn't really exist.

I did love Kate grabbing her hand and being there for her.

• Members

If I really broke it down I can probably credit him for some things but I see Higley's stamp everywhere. I like things like Nancy, Eve, Kim, Laura  etc. popping in but you can see the slanted writing from a mile away. The women are weak and pathetic. While the show's passable at the moment, it's not at all gripping. DAYS is always just one big missed opportunity  and it sucks. I'd love to write for this damn show.

At this point I'm all for it. MAKE IT STOP! LOL

And I want to enjoy the fact that Judi Evans is getting airtime but I can't.

• Members

Justin and Lucas should be like *opens casket*: "Get in!" while tears are streaming down their faces. Adrienne will leave tear stains on the ground as she faces her fate. The story writes itself!

Same. Maybe JE always goes for the jugular because she understands that every episode she does could be her very last! lol 

Adrienne's breast cancer diagnosis was so heavy handed and overwrought. JPL ages more and more with each passing episode. It's always a treat to see Nancy. Paul and Sonny are used as token gays. I wish Days would balance their dark stories with some humor. I liked the song used at the end. Even though it was so over the top. They tried to create drama out Adrienne's breast cancer but totally screwed it up.  

• Members

Probably. She was completely ignored for Griffith's tenure, so I can't blame her. She's probably got a lot to let out LOL. I know they were trying to go for emotion today but, again, it just all screamed a bit too much to me. I'll see how they handle it going forward.

I'm ready for them to get a move on with Paul and Sonny. They definitely have chemistry and while I'm fine with a slow build ....

I hope the show continues to have Nancy and Laura and Kim, etc. pop in and out. I've really liked that they're doing this. I have to say Higs didn't do too bad when she did Alice's memorial, with the returns we got then. I think we should have gotten a better 50th than we did. It's like we got it with the Orpheus story and the returns of Kim, Laura, Shane etc. I just think certain characters work as pop-ins and why the show hasn't (well, probably $$ and people who don't care enough ... it ticked me off Kim could return a few months prior for Theresa but not for Bo's return and funeral, which tells me it was the afterthought it was treated as) boggles my mind, especially at Christmas.

• Members

It's always kinda funny when Brady gets all wired and upset. He moves like a chicken without its head. 

Everyone acting way, way, WAY over the top at Adrienne's diagnosis. Cancer and the reactions are dramatic enough. You don't need to act like having to pack her a bag or drive her to the hospital is some big, additional drama.

That being said, Paul putting his arm around Sonny and Kate taking Adrienne's hand (even if it was ridiculous that Adrienne looked absolutely terrified like a little girl) were very touching.

I've got nothing to add about the rest.

• Members

I agree that it was overdone - the fainting in shock, the closeups of people looking at her. That part made me cringe. Honestly it looked like something from 30 or 40 years ago, the way it was styled. 

With that said, as important as I know a positive attitude is and as important as it is to not have a soap or a show tell viewers that it's a death sentence, I have a lot of issues with how romanticized cancer is in fiction sometimes and with the money machine out there that downplays the seriousness of breast cancer in particular by having pink pens and whatever else and by telling women to get their tits out to show how much they hate cancer, and whatever else. I liked that this was played so soberly, because it is something to be sober about. 

I didn't see the earlier episodes, just today's, but I thought Judi Evans was very good. I thought her fear was very believable.  I also thought Freddie Smith was very good (and I like his hair that way...). And Bryan Dattilo was good in the scene with Kate - Lauren Koslow has always been his best acting partner. 

I don't know if that's a thing to try to hide age or what but Bryan's hair looks awful. A 45-year-old-ass-man doesn't need to look like Chachi. 

They need more scenes of Brady with his legs spread wide open. 

Hearing Wally Kurth say "kiss your ass" and with that overwrought delivery too made me laugh so hard I nearly fell over 

Please register in order to view this content

What a bizarre and wonderful scene, if not for the best reasons...

Today really showed why so many feel soaps should have never been expanded to an hour. A half-hour format would have meant less of things like Sonny repeatedly saying he shouldn't have locked Adrienne in a room. He said it like 6 times I swear. 

I know Higley reportedly isn't much of a fan of Kayla and Patch but I wish they'd given them a few more scenes instead. The bit between Patch and Adrienne was one of the better parts of the episode. 

• Members

I enjoy the relationship between Steve and Adrienne as well. It's so nice that's finally being played again.

I can see what you mean Carl, about it being a sobering diagnosis. It is and I think they did try to show that but then it's negated by all the crappy things you listed. So that's why I was torn. I wasn't wanting them to throw a party and say "YASSSS CANCER!". I just don't think DAYS should handle something like this and they showed me why yesterday. But the problem is soaps are stuck in the past and how they think they need to be. Judi Evans is good. The crying gets a bit old but she's a good actress and I like that she's getting airtime. I'd rather watch Adrienne read the phone book than be subjected to Summer or Daniel or so many other inane pointless characters that sucked up airtime.

Freddie Smith and Bryan Dattilo were good as well. I meant to point them out. I also like Smith's hair like this too. Dattilo badly needs a haircut. I don't understand why he continues to let his hair get like that.

Also agreed about soaps not needing to be an hour. I'd love to see them drop to a half hour. It would become more bingeable (but, really, an episode is barely 34 minutes anymore without commercials). I think it benefits B&B. They just need to learn to structure it better to accomplish more. There's no reason everything that happened in the episode over 34 minutes couldn't be cut to 20.

Archived