Y&R: December 2016 Discussion Thread

• Members

Agreed. Adam 'convinced' Chloe that a life on the run was not what he (or Chloe) would want for Chelsea/Connor and she agreed to fake his death. 

A 'boring,' less stellar episode as Friday (US) is still miles better from the frenetic, plot-based scenes that used to be strung together. I read the preview for Monday (US) and I'm glad they held it for Monday because that is almost always the highest rated day for Y&R

A couple of funny/ odd dialogue things from first three days:

1. Traci talking about how happy Billy was born so she had someone to off-set Jack/Ashley, but then Billy reminds Victoria that Traci was already in NYC when he was born. 

2. Lauren talking about that "Internet" thing - like online shopping from brick-and-mortar stores hasn't been a 'thing' for almost 15 years. The original conversation with Phyllis was better - primarily using the website to drive traffic into stores. It's hard to tell whether Fenmore's is more like Macy's or niche high-end like Saks or Neiman Marcus. I always viewed it as the latter.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's been a long time since while watching Y&R I got that feeling of your heart racing in anticipation for what was gonna happen. I think the last time I got that feeling was watching the 2006 episodes on YouTube of Sheila Carter's return (and I thought the poison necklace storyline was actually pretty brilliant and soapy) 

I got that feeling back again today while watching the show. Honestly Hilary is starting to give me early Phyllis vibes. I know a lot of people don't like Hilary being written so evil but I kind of dig it and this show needs a good villainess.

• Members

You'd actually be surprised at how long some very traditional department stores held out. Macys and JCPenney's websites are still messy and lack sophistication and user-friendliness compared to say, Victoria Secret, which was one of the earliest "brick & mortar" stores to engage in e-commerce and was able to constantly adapt and upgrade their site throughout the years. Over the last couple of years, indie bookstores have just seemed to have found a way to strike back (and thrive) against the Amazon.com's of the world. It's not a dead topic, IMO. If Y&R can write a story that has a fresh take and is not stuck in the late 90s or the early 00s then the story can still be highly entertaining and very viable.

I only compared Fenmores to Macys or JCPenney in that both stores were extremely late to adapt to e-commerce and the new way of doing retail business and both have faced financial shortfalls as a result of their obstinance.  I only mentioned Bergdorf Goodman and Saks because both generally make their appeal to a more upscale shopper.

In reality, Fenmore, a boutique is truly 'just like' neither. I think the closest comparison to the actual type of store Fenmore's is might be Fred Segal but perhaps more formal.

• Members

I love that you give us insights into the next episode.  The drawback is when it's something good, it drives me crazy with anticipation!  lol. The Mariah/Hilary stuff you mentioned earlier...omg

MM/Hilary is gold.  I dig her bitchiness too, but good antagonists have to have moments of vulnerability to help make them relatable.  I have complete confidence that SS and KA can make that happen.

• Members

Yeah, I've seen people complaining about the Lauren/Fenmore's angle online but honestly, it's true - a lot of those department store giants are way behind the times in terms of digital. See also: the death of print media, a story OLTL 2.0 tackled before its abrupt ending.

• Members

I enjoyed today's show. I liked that it was led by and  mostly all about The Women with men supporting. That is a great step in the right direction. 

I think Sally has given Hilary a real reason to hate Mariah, which was lacking before. Mariah has tried to take Hilary's life. Hilary won't stand for it. See, this makes sense  I still wish things weren't so heavy handed against Hilary though. The script is still full of name calling for her. I don't like it. 

Devon has finally stopped being written so weak and easily controlled by Hilary. I appreciate this change. 

I'm loving seeing Lauren attempting to save her father's legacy. I want her to succeed. why is  Michael's hair so light though. I don't like this on CLB. I have not missed Kevin. That is all. 

Neil being concerned about Hevon's marriage. I guess...so what, he will get to save it as a further redemption story. it'll be a Christmas miracle? 

Surely Cane won't cheat with  this day player. that's pointless. Unless they are using it to release him from his marriage to pair him with a contract character. maybe? 

• Members

I enjoyed today's episode! I think some days will be better then others, but importantly it feels like I'm watching a soap opera for the first time in.....I don't know when! haha

Sharon and Lauren both looked amazing, and the writing is still a lot sharper then ever.....even I saw more emotion in Dylan, and his scenes with Paul was totally old school Y&R.

I hope a full fledged Hilary vs. Mariah breaks out.

• Members

I guess the Fenmores story is a little confusing because its status was never clearly established. Was it a mid western chain or just GC? Fashion only? How did the boutique fit in?

Y&R business stories have always annoyed me for that reason.

Is Jabot a major nationwide company competing with the big guns or a more boutique operation? Is it medium priced or more exclusive?

Restless Style? Seemed to be some glossy mag that put GC residents on the cover? Really?

Now we have GC Buzz. Why would a small town have a scandal rag/website like this? 

• Members

Y&R styled MM as pure Diva on Friday's US episode (lol) with the 'big hair don't care' and the one-shoulder blouse. I haven't been watching in a long time until Wednesday...had Y&R been styling her this way previously?

Did anyone notice that Sharon, Hillary and Mariah all wore tops in a similar color scheme? Sort of in the same plum-ish color family.

Whoever wrote the scenes between Paul and Dylan really tried to write to Steve Burton's strengths- shutting down and trying to be emotionally unavailable (reminiscent of when some GH fans would call him the Borg

Please register in order to view this content

) but in this case, it worked for the scene because it resulted in a 'push-pull' dynamic with Paul trying to get Dylan to open up and Dylan pushing against acknowledging the hurt of the situation.

Lauren's scenes were great-- even her scenes with Chelsea and Chloe where you see Lauren trying to exude confidence, while trying to keep her growing desperation from showing yet we the viewers know that it is there just beneath the surface.

Perhaps her happening to meet and confide in Paul at the GCAC could be seen as a bit contrived but given her relationship with Paul, it's justifiable that she would confide in him (especially after a bit of "liquid courage") even though she hasn't really told anyone else how much Fenmore's is truly struggling.

Fenmore's struggles would be the perfect opportunity to bring both Lauren's sons home to help, even in brief storyline arcs. Lauren's eldest son is a writer, he could offer to help 'write copy' for the boutique's ads, online and off. Technically, he could make a brief appearance and continue the work off-camera as writing copy is a job that could be done remotely.

Fen could take some time off to help with the store whose name he shares. Even, appearing on GC Buzz, in an attempt to appeal to a younger, hipper demographic (remember Fenmore's has been around for a long time), opening the way for a dalliance with Mariah (who could use even the briefest of flings), which of course, would probably meet with disapproval from many (except Sharon).

So many potential storylines that could come out of this, TBH.

• Members

GC is not a small town, is it?  I believe it's a pretty major city.

For the most part, MM has always been styled nicely.  But I do think she looked especially glam on Fridays show.

Loved your entire post, @DramatistDreamer Why aren't on a writing staff somewhere?  :-)

Count me in for a Mariah/Hilary rivalry.  Both of those actresses could play the fuc outta that!

• Members

Thanks for the compliment, @GMac

Please register in order to view this content

Theater was my first love, so I decided to focus on the theater when I was in Arts school but at one time I did attempt to get an internship with ATWT/PGP, as it was my favorite soap and I was in NYC at the time but those were in the waning years of ATWT/PGP and their administrative office was a mess, the person who I contacted at the time didn't even know whether such a program existed (unlike ABC/Disney that had an organized Daytime program, mostly for Production jobs) so I submitted my resume but didn't pursue it.

If only TV writing were like the theater where you have a submission process. Granted, some theater programs and production companies will only accept agency-submitted scripts, but there is a good number that have an open submissions process. TV is more about getting into a writer's room and most of the programs for Emerging Writers are for Primetime TV. The program Agnes Nixon started with Northwestern U. was the first I've heard of a dedicated Daytime Writers' program. I haven't checked Sony in years to find out if they've added any programs like this though.

I could be wrong, but I get the notion that the Daytime community is very insular and you'd probably need to know somebody and I don't have any of those connections. So, if you know somebody, who may know somebody, let me know.

Archived