Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SoapDope

Family (1976-1980)

19 posts in this topic

I always thought season 1 of Knots Landing reminded me of Family...but with four marriages/families instead of one family.  I think David jacobs wrote some episodes..if Im not mistaken.

1 hour ago, amybrickwallace said:

Yes, David Jacobs wrote many of FAMILY's very best episode.  Whenever I saw his name in the credits, I knew we would be in for a treat.

On the other hand, when I saw Charles Pratt's name credited as writer (here on FAMILY or on LIFE GOES on, another family-oriented dram from the past), I would cringe in fear, wondering how he would ruin the episode and characters that night.

What's also interesting about reading that article is that 25 years have passed and the longevity records that DALLAS and KL both held have long since been broken. The record-breakers, of course, are L&O (20 seasons) and L&O: SVU (still running and in its 18th season). Even Michele Lee's record for the most appearances by an actress on TV was broken by L&O's S. Epatha Merkerson.

Getting back to Family, it only lasted for 86 episodes. In the original 1976 miniseries, I always thought it would make more sense to air "Thursday's Child" before the pilot. Yes, I know the pilot was made first, but I think "Thursday's Child" really told more about who the Lawrence and Maitland families were all about - and it would have made Jeff's adultery all the more jarring.