Soapsuds

What character was a favorite of yours until the actor playing the role ruined it for you?

143 posts in this topic

On 4/2/2017 at 9:55 AM, Dan said:

Harley Cooper.  Loved her back in the day. She was such a great, well-written character.  Even loved early Harley and Gus. Then,  the writing got poor and the entire Cooper family became a bunch of sanctimonious,  whiney jerks. That led to Beth Elhers having more off camera shenanigans and acting like she couldn't be less interested in actually making the character palatable.  Of course,  that wasn't confined to Harley.  I'm pretty certain that Coop's death was the only time Justin Deas actually acted during the show's last 5 years. And the fact that Frank Cooper survived so many cast purges boggles my mind. 

Sadly, this was one of my first thoughts when I saw the thread title. She was such a favorite, until her stank attitude behind the scenes and onscreen lack of interest totally tainted the character. The fact that she didn't appear for the finale week (and viewers didn't cry foul over her lack of presence) is telling of the damage done at the end. 

58 minutes ago, Gray Bunny said:

The fact that she didn't appear for the finale week (and viewers didn't cry foul over her lack of presence) is telling of the damage done at the end. 

Was she even invited to come back at the end?

37 minutes ago, amybrickwallace said:

Was she even invited to come back at the end?

I doubt it. 

Wasn't she playing Harley-lite Taylor on AMC at the time? I was pissed that Brian Frons wouldn't let JvD come over for a day or two. Can't remember if they even tried, but remember that it would have been a non-starter with ABC. 

I wanna say she was already out the door at AMC by the time GL was filming their finale, but I could be wrong. 

1 hour ago, Gray Bunny said:

I wanna say she was already out the door at AMC by the time GL was filming their finale, but I could be wrong. 

The announcement that AMC had let her go came at the end of September 2009, so GL would have already been over.

Cady McClain as Rosanna on ATWT. I loved the original Rosanna, as played by Yvonne Perry. When they started making the character bitchier, and finally recast her, it was 100% a different character.

Although I liked Yvonne Perry, I thought Cady did a good job as Rosanna. By the way, has anyone else won an Emmy for two different characters on different soaps, like Cady did? 

On 4/4/2017 at 3:49 PM, Scrapple said:

Although I liked Yvonne Perry, I thought Cady did a good job as Rosanna. By the way, has anyone else won an Emmy for two different characters on different soaps, like Cady did? 

Heather Tom - Y&R & B&B also nominated for OLTL

Justin Deas - has won for three different roles - ATWT, Santa Barbara, GL

Nancy Lee Grahn - Santa Barbara and GH

Rick Hearst - GL and GH

John Wesley Shipp - ATWT & Santa Barbara (guest performer Emmy - thanks AmyBrickWallace).

Maura West - ATWT and GH

Ellen Wheeler - AW and AMC

Susan Flannery - DAYS and B&B (thanks Khan)

Edited by jcar03

3 hours ago, jcar03 said:

John Wesley Shipp - ATWT & GL (GL for Guest Performer)

Actually, he won the guest performer Emmy as Martin Ellis on Santa Barbara.

Did Susan Flannery win an Emmy for DAYS?  If so, I'd add her name to that list.

On 3/27/2017 at 10:46 AM, Khan said:

Same.  Mark Valley and Steve Wilder were just younger, blonder placeholders.

Yep. Agreed. And that says a lot that Matt Ashford is still, by and large, considered the definitive Jack Deveraux since he was the third actor in the role himself. But the other two before him, James Acheson and Joseph Adams, were a blink and Ashford got the good writing, so it makes sense.

14 hours ago, Khan said:

Did Susan Flannery win an Emmy for DAYS?  If so, I'd add her name to that list.

Yes, she did - in 1975.

On 4/3/2017 at 2:51 PM, amybrickwallace said:

The announcement that AMC had let her go came at the end of September 2009, so GL would have already been over.

JVD and Laura Wright asked to go do cameos at GL's end but ABC said no

On 4/4/2017 at 4:43 PM, jcar03 said:

Justin Deas - has won for three different roles - ATWT, Santa Barbara, GL

Ahh, what am I missing with him?? I remember him on GL, I have seen clips of him on SB and ATWT, is he really good??? He seemed so over the top and shouty to me.

Also screw ABC for not letting JvD do the end of GL. They made Ross stay dead. In my head, no body = not dead (which I usually hate, but in Ross' case I'll take it).