What character was a favorite of yours until the actor playing the role ruined it for you?

• Members

I think your statement sums this thread up perfectly! A lot of the bad recasts did 'kill' certain characters literally (think AW - recasting Sally with Nina Courtland! I won't name the actress because I adored her and she was very honest about it being a bad fit) or it sent them off the canvas quickly. 

On the other hand, who would've ever thought that the actress who played frumpy Shelly/Kelly as the unbelievable 'hooker with a heart of gold' on Capitol would turn out to one of the most amazing recasts of a major role of all time and is still as fierce as nearly 30 years later - Jess Walton. 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I thought about Mac but decided, especially the first recast, didn't ruin the character for me. While it pretty much ended Mac and Mac & Billy, she was just there, inconsequential, like an annoying little fly. It wasn't a situation like the GODAWFULJESUSCHRISTMYEYES Shittuck Ashley or Heinle Victoria. I didn't actively hate her. I didn't want to scratch my eyes out.

Please register in order to view this content

I just didn't see Mac anymore.

Would have been another dreadful miscasting. For the life of me I will never understand those who claim "but she was good elsewhere!"

Are we not going to discuss Brenda Dickson 2.0?  She eventually almost crippled Jill.

• Members

Susan Walters was a good recast.

Like Brenda Epperson's Ashley her Diane was a lot softer but still a totally welcome addition to the cast. Unfortunately Y&R has a terrible habit of ditching its past & throwing characters (especially female characters) under the bus to prop terrible new couples.

• Members

Yes, Susan Walters was excellent as Diane. Perhaps I skipped it, but Darius McCrary as, and I'm trying to hold my extreme laughter, Malcolm??? I put that on par with the Susan Batten as Connor (ATWT). On top of the fact that he was a terrible person, especially his with 'oreo' comment in front of VR/KSJ during that radio interview. I had to FF through every one of his scenes. Thank goodness that SM is all class and returned to the role for a few days in 2014, so 'Malcolm' is restored, even if off-canvas. Though now that he's off CM, I'd love another return

• Members

I wonder why Y&R couldn't get Susan Walters back? She was a good foil to Jack and Phyllis. I wouldn't want her to return only to be manhandled and killed though.

When Darius McCrary was on Y&R, I was taking one of my "breaks" from the show but I was curious so I did watch some episodes when they used to be posted on You Tube before they got taken down. That was just an awkward recast and it didn't help that the show looked a mess at that time too.

I was busy during the Susan Batten season, so lucky me! I did see a couple episodes on You Tube and I could barely get through them.

• Members

Susan's Diane was a lot of fun but she suffered the same treatment as Alex's Original Diane and Don Diamont's Brad. The combo of Jack Smith & LML really screwed them over.

Susan was open to returning but Y&R was determined to cast Maura solely because they wanted to de-age Diane for both Victor & Nick.

Darius McCrary is not a bad actor but he was completely wrong for Malcolm. And the reasons the show gave for choosing him specifically as the recast were offensive.

• Members

I just really enjoyed Alex in the role more.  Much more.  She had more of an edge and a stronger, tougher presence.  Walters was absolutely fine.  Just not as interesting for me.  I love Maura but not as Diane.

On Guiding Light, I only know Beverlee's Alex and Sherry's Blake from the amazing stuff people put on YouTube.  Even though I watched for awhile with their replacements as the show was airing I just didn't get why people thought those characters were so important.  When you see them in the roles, it's so clear how vital they were.

Archived