Y&R: November 2016 Discussion Thread

• Members

I like what they are doing with Hillary and Mariah right now. It's nice to see them both with a career and Hillary being able to do something productive with all that ambition.  Part of me was hoping that Mariah would spill the story to Hillary to get ahead, but I knew she wouldn't. Also, Kevin needs to stop showing up at the work place and demanding that Mariah talk to him.  It's completely ridiculous how little regard he has for the fact that she's working and doesn't have time for his nosy self.

I felt bad for Faith today. In a way, nothing has really changed for her, but I still see why she is upset and confused.  I even felt bad for Sharon when I didn't really think I would.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not when you buy the production company, although if she had a degree in journalism she might not have committed libel.  Hillary is bossing Mariah around because Hillary is the boss. Not sure why that's wrong. I wouldn't call it a great story line, just better than what either of them have had recently.

• Members

I think some tend to forget  that Hilary owns that production company (alongside Devon) and as such can run it how she pleases. it was the same issue with that pharmaceutical start up. Hilary owned that and should have run it. Instead we had writing telling us that it was rightfully Ashley's. how? but Pratt did. I'm expecting something similar to go down with GC Buzz where writing tells us that Mariah should be in charge and hilary's boss. wait for it. 

• Members

Not feeling this either. it's too OTT. Poor execution in writing, directing, and acting. for as much as I love Mishael Morgan, she lacks the nuance in her acting ability that is needed bring humanity to a character like this. She has loads of  charisma and stage presence, but this is outside of her range  

• Members

I agree. Her lines feel extremely forced. She isn't able to truly emote what she is saying, it just falls flat with her delivery. I like the actress too and so many people here seem to think she's great at being this ruthless bitch but I just don't see it, she doesn't look comfortable playing that. She's better as a heroine type IMO

• Members

I think alot of folks just like the idea that a black actress/character, or any  female chatacter really, has been allowed to play the role of the one we love to hate and drive story.  it's different and refreshing from how they are normally written, practically saintly, which they have Devon as right now for angst to Hilary's new career.

Mishael was much better as a heroine. she was able to pull it off without being boring. something only a few actresses were able to do. Sharon Case being an exanple of another  true heroine that fell into this category. I thought MCE could but I'm finding she was helped by the writing for Adam  and her romance cause she's as dull as dish water now  

As the super bitch, Mishael just seems lost. she plays every scene exactly the same no matter who it's with. Hilary relates to, talks to using the same tone and touches Devon the exact same way she does Mariah. which shouldn't be the case since she's in a romance with Devon and rivals with Mariah. it just doesn't work. but I give her an A for effort. she plays every scene like it's her last. 

• Members

I do like MM as assertive but it's best when she's more motivated by something human - not ratings. Like her scenes with Jack. Basically they have replaced ED with CG. This is a complete retread of earlier this year. BUT I'm glad they have moved CG to a new story. 

How bizarre was it that Victoria was telling Chrully about the Newmans??? Um, except for Victor/Adam (lol) and Abby - Chrully was tied to everyone through Nikki - though we know that's not really true. The whole wait till you meet your grandparents and acting as if she wasn't already his aunt through Dylan. Weird.  

• Members

Hilary's scenes with Jack would be great for the character had the show kept them as friends only. now even that doesn't work because viewers don't trust her motivations with him. Pratt took everything decent from this character. 

Very odd writing. But he wasnt a Newman before and, apparently, that family connection is the only tie that matters to the show  

• Members

I'll add the show clearly is in disarray during this last month of Pratt. It was pretty tight in Sept/Oct but this bizarre writing for Billy, Travis (who cares about Michelle?), Victoria, the Jack/StePhyllis redux, Lame (ACL surgery, huh?), bizarro Ben/Abby divorce, etc. 

Archived