Y&R: November 2016 Discussion Thread

• Members

If they are going to address that problem anyway, and introduce young leading men into the mix, how could it hurt to have descendants of original legacy characters come aboard? Jill's brother Greg could have sons. Her brother Snapper and his wife Chris Brooks Foster could have had sons along with their daughter. Peggy Brooks and Steve Williams could have adult children. The previously-mentioned Brooks Prentiss could work. If newbies are needed, why not give longtime viewers a treat? Newer audience members may not care either way, if  new characters are related to original core characters or not, but veteran audience members would enjoy the nod to the past. It's like how Star Trek viewers love newer incarnations of the franchise giving references to the original 1960s' series, its characters and concepts, or how Dr. Who fans love seeing the Daleks pop up and mess with the current doctor.

Well, yes...but the point of hiring SSM and KA is that they will (hopefully) write all of the characters effectively. I wouldn't expect the likes of Chuck Pratt to manage, but surely KA is capable of writing character-driven material, if she learned anything from William J. Bell.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The age difference between Hardy and Bywater may preclude them being believable as twins, but you know, they really would be PERFECTLY cast as children of William Gray Espy and Trish Stewart. 

I understand that times move on, and it would not be feasible to bring back a plethora of original cast members from decades past, along with their children, but I really would like some tie-in to the show's roots. With the deaths of John Abbott, Katherine Chancellor, and even Liz Foster, there are no tentpole matriarchs or patriarchs in Genoa City any more. If James Houghton could be lured back, I could see his Greg Foster establishing a law practice in town, reconnecting Jill to her Foster roots (does the audience really like all the parental retcons that have been foisted on Jill?), and eventually becoming a benevolent tentpole patriarch to his and Jill's family. Considering her popularity, I'd also try to weave Jaime Lyn Bauer's Lorie Brooks back into the canvas, along with her son/nephew Brooks Prentiss. Aside from those two potential vets, however, I would not inundate the show with long-gone faces.

• Members

Mal Young is allowing a handful of die hards to dictate to him how the show should be written. This will not end well.  A town fulll of middle age and elderly women with very few men. After December, there won't be any adult males under 40!  No new romances, no weddings, no WTD, no babies!  Y&R is going to be a tired, boring disaster!  lol

• Members

I didn't enjoy Friday's episode. There was too much dialogue for one thing but I think it was more than that. I definitely did not like the interaction between Natalie and Travis. I am liking Travis even less after Friday, as a matter of fact. Not sure what has happened with that. I definitely do not like TPTB trying to push Nat off as Victor's new receptionist. I definitely do not enjoy seeing Daniel Goddard (Cane). Friday's episode was just yuck after watching the Sully/Christian reveal all week.

• Members

Sully/Christian definitely had a lucky day moving out of Sharon's house and into Nick's.  Nick has proven time and time again that he's a good father who cares about his children and is always there for them.  Sharon, unfortunately, has proven time and time again that she's a massive screw up and no one is safe around her.  According to her history, she had twins and immediately lost one of them.  Then she let someone else raise Cassie.  Then Cassie died.  In the meantime, Sharon had affairs, took off and almost got herself killed, had Faith, lost Faith, burned down the Newman ranch, took up with baby stealer Adam and in the latest debacle kept a baby that she knew wasn't hers and misled everyone including her husband.  She's a disaster. 

I used to be all about Sharon, loved her, but I can't anymore with her, she's burned too many bridges, showed too much really bad judgement for me to root for her anymore.  I think Nick was 100% right to take the baby out of her house ASAP.  I hope Dylan leaves as well.  I don't know how he can possibly stay with someone that lied to him like Sharon did. 

Archived