Y&R: Actor Leaving

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If they recast, we will know he didn't like the offer.  I'm sure he misses JFP because he spent plenty of time with her there being forced down our throats.

I hope he is done.  I loved him as Jason.  But something that keeps coming up when I read comments or go back and find interviews from Wendy Riche is that she protected the canvas and her writers.  She tried to execute their visions, but also had a collaborative team.  

When JFP got there, it really did seem like she let Geary, Benard, and Burton dictate everything.  From pairings to overall arcs.  Other people tried, like Marcil, and other people fought stupid stuff, like McCullogh, but they doesn't have a penis so no traction with Jill.

It was pretty clear to me SB did not want to work on GH unless he had more power and story veto. So he left, and Jill did everything to try to make him on Y&R.

• Members

Oh, dear God no.  I can see it now.  Sam goes to visit Heather, and then, Heather drops the bombshell that she was in the room when Susan Moore gave birth--but this time, the story will change to her giving birth to TRIPLETS!  For once, let's just respect history, and let Steve Burton come back as someone else, if at all.  I know the great majority of people loved his portrayal of Jason after the accident, but I always hated the "Jason Quartermaine to Jason Morgan transformation story".  It glamorized brain damage and was a bit too unrealistic, in my view.

• Members

Not only did SB's announcement get a write-up on Deadline, but it currently is the #3 trending story on the entire site. Forgive me, but is he really that big as soap star to warrant that coverage? I've only followed GH tangentially over the years.  

• Members

Regardless of who made the ultimate decision, I think it was a good one. They tried to latch him onto two longtime characters (Paul and Nikki) in one of the more plausible origin stories that Y&R had created in a long time yet it didn't really work. I think in the beginning, it seemed as if there was an easygoing chemistry between Sharon and Dylan but unfortunately they decided to try to make it romantic and it soon fizzled, IMO. Interestingly enough, I thought there was some sort of interesting dynamic (at times) between Dylan and Nick characterized by early clashes (althought the fist-fights got very old really quickly) then, sort of a feeling each other out, and a tentative coming to an understanding- that emerging relationship was dropped when TPTB decided to stick Sharon and Dylan together.

Was casting a part of the problem? I think so. A less well-known actor might have been given more time to develop before being thrown in heavy duty romantic relationships but TPTB were probably urged by JFP to put Burton in the middle of all the action ASAP which is not how you want to build a character and have the audience appreciate him/her on their own merits. Glomming him onto Nikki, Paul and later Sharon, Dylan became a parasitic character that always needed a 'host to survive'. 

Dylan's a grown man who no longer seems to be suffering from PTSD, from what I've read in threads so TPTB can send him off to the hinterlands or wherever poor Keemo now resides.

Archived