Dynasty: Discussion Thread

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

If the British papers are to be believed, the producers of this remake have Dame Joan in their sights to join...obviously to have anyone else play Alexis would be ridiculous and career suicide for whoever takes it on (because they will fail)...but perhaps they'll rejig things with Alexis somehow related (or just as Cecil's widow)...ultimately if this show doesn't have Dame Joan in it they can kiss any support for it goodbye. 

• Members

This doesn't sound good at all. A revival would be better than a reboot, but even a revival would be terrible in the wrong hands. Kristina would be in her early 30s now, so she could possibly be in a power struggle for Denver-Carrington with one of Fallon's children, Steven's son or Adam, who would obviously have Alexis in their corner. Or another possibility is that Kristina could be an environmental activist or politician against fracking, which would put her at odds with Denver-Carrington. One more story possibility is that she would have transitioned Denver-Carrington toward clean energy while some of her family did not want to go in that direction.

• Members

If I am to understand correctly, a "reboot," a term used in the past for the 90210, Melrose, and Dallas revivals, was a continuation of the original within their same realms. The 90210 gang were all grown up, and the storyline continued. Same with MP and Dallas. 

This version of Dynasty would not be a reboot, but rather a remake. Right? Otherwise, Krystle changes ethnicities, Alexis is in her 80's, Fallon's in her 60's, etc. 

All these "R" words for 2.0 series gettin' me all confused :) 

Edited by Gray Bunny

• Members

The thing with Dynasty was that it was an 80s show seen through the prism of 1950s melodrama. The actors were former screen idols of the Hollywood studio system or beautiful young things. Pamela Sue Martin was incandescent and glowing with beauty and pizzazz. Joan Collins was ... Joan Collins. She commanded that show and Alexis was fascinating to watch. The clothes, flowers, champagne... all these added touches blew up the budget. The women wore chinchillas and Van Cleef & Arpels and Nolan Miller and drank real Bollinger. Joan had a different wig for every scene! How to recreate that in today's pared down, dark TV environment? Will the stars have the Star Quality that made the show so watchable? (For me, that is; I am currently rewatching Season 3). I don't think it can work if it looks pedestrian. And without La Collins it will be pedestrian. Her presence alone is like a 1000 megawatt spotlight. Like Chit said, I think this will be a disaster and go the way of the Dallas reboot.

And finding a Fallon like PSM will be hella difficult too. She had chemistry with a postbox. And Helmut Berger. 

Edited by Cat

• Members

It's KRYSTLE people. LOL 

Reboot basically means restarting, so idk if it should have been used for 90210, MP and DALLAS. I guess it sounds catchier than continuation. But DYNASTY is, essentially, a remake.

Edited by YRBB

• Members

The name of the character from DYNASTY you and others, as well as publications (!!!), so often misspell is not Krystal, but Krystle. It drives me nuts. :lol: What they're doing in the upcoming pilot is irrelevant and doesn't change the original spelling. :huh: 

Edited by YRBB