Was MAB or JFP more destructive to YR.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Honestly i think Paul Rauch who brought great production values during MAB really was able to make first year a good one. It really was good and then it started stumbling. Once Rauch quit in 2011 after 3 years she crashed and burned so hard. I heard the show wss a dissaray last year she was EP she never communicated with her staff multiple vacations and ratings were sinking to all time lows. She deservely got fired. I could tell when JFP took over at first she even said she wasnt a big watcher of YR and it took her time. GH she started her career there knew the show inside and out.

• Members

JFP does deserve some credit - she stabilized things behind the scenes (things were largely a mess with LML and MAB), brought back some rehearsal timing for the actors, and probably most significantly, she brought Camryn Grimes back to the show.

The fact people even accept Mariah/Grimes so strongly is a testament of what a mistake it was to kill Cassie in the first place. Whether it was due to that story or the changes that took effect soon after it, that story was the beginning of the a long period of upheaval for the show that never seemed to end. 

• Members

MAB was the worst. Her time at Y&R crippled the show and made it the drivel it is now. 

I will never forgive her for the following:

• Making Adam a sociopath instead of being a complex, social climbing, corporate raiding antihero with daddy issues
  • Making Sharon a klepto, town kicking post, & town whore only to declare it all stemmed from her being Bipolar
  • Revolving the show around the Fisher/Baldwin clan
  • Constantly pimping Lily & Cane
  • Declawing Redzilla become the town's constant victim & beloved heroine 
  • Dehumanizing Victor
  • Further making Jack a simp
  • Diminishing Jill's role on the show
  • Creating the horrible Atkinson clan
  • Wasting Debbi Morgan, Stephen Nichols, and Genie Francis' talent on this show
  • Destroying Victor & Sharon's father/daughter relationship
  • Killing Diane
  • Making Nikki aka Lizzy Borden Jr. kill again and get off
  • Turning Patti into a sociopath 
  • Devising that lackluster story of Nina finding her son 
  • Creating the monster that is Villy 
  • Bringing Ashley back only to lose another baby and Victor again 

• Members

The Colleen story is the one that will always disgust me most, beyond Adam throwing a fetus into the fireplace and the deeply offensive story where Adam went to pound town with a dumbass twink offcamera so we'd know he was so depraved he would do ANYTHING (and people actually praised this story for progressiveness!). A young heroine murdered so that a man who humiliated her and her family for decades could have her heart. A story that disgusted me so much I was traumatized and spent much of this past year on Eastenders paranoid they'd do the same damn thing. 

The Jill humiliation and blatant contempt for the character was also disgusting. I still remember how they had her work in a nail salon and had her sleep with a younger guy because we were supposed to see both of these things as pathetic. When it didn't come across that way, MAB just shipped her out.

• Members

Jess Walton was vocal she hated MAB running the show. She left YR and said it was JFP who got her back. Jill did get the shows production back on track as she met daily with writers, producers and got the budget under control. It was over populated with miscast soap actresses from soap past. Remember Eden Reigal as Heather that was so bad or Maura West as Diane. Just terrible casting choices. The funny thing is when MAB was fired she was so mystified. I heard she trashed JFP name and she used her buddy Tommy to do that. MAB is a rich housewive socialite. I rememver her once showing pics of her dining at the Beverly Hills hotel with Kathy Hilton and her rich champagne buddies. Maybe thats why YR was such a mess she didnt make it her number 1 focus.  She still to do this day is bitter she isnt at YR. She trashed Steve And Angelica called her a woman on a power trip. U know whats funny is when JFP got the boot she was very low profile about it.

• Members

Oh yes. I totally forgot that MAB killed off Colleen. That's another story I will NEVER forgive her for. I still get pissed thinking of Nikki's dumbass having the gall to ask Traci for Colleen's heart. To this day, I wish Traci would've clotheslined the f-ck out of Nikki for that and then told her 'hell no!' It bothers me to this day that Victor is still written horribly and he continues to do the Abbotts dirty after Traci gave him the most precious gift of all time--life! 

Adam screwing Rafe was so totally done for shock value and it went nowhere. There's not even a mention of it anymore. MAB just went stupid with Adam. I couldn't even blame Chris Engen from stepping away from the role. 

You could tell that MAB had no interest in Jill at all. At times, I wish she would've just shipped her off instead of putting her with Colin. So sad how Jill was 1/2 of the duo that built the house that is Y&R, but she is tossed aside like yesterday's trash to this very day.

I hope SSM and KA fix that upon their return.

• Members

I actually still think Victor was the worst under MAB.....the Colleen stuff was already bad, but I will  never forget him throwing Diane off the ambulance and the horrible story where he held Billy captive while Delia was sick.....He's still a horrible person, but it least JFP/Pratt actually acknowledged his crimes with the Marco stuff, and while he has yet to totally pay, it was a nice change seeing him in jail for a crime he actually DID commit, however brief it was and the stupid B.S with the doctor and Ian Ward...but still it doesn't help that Braeden seems to enjoy playing Victor like a one note cartoon, which mostly started under MAB......I still resent the control he seems to have, and the fact that they will never stop writing Jack vs. Victor only cause Braeden said he doesn't believe in "softening up" characters when there was already too much bad blood......The comment that DRW50 said about the horrible Colleen stuff reminded me of what Braeden said, because if he didn't have as much power, especially the power that MAB seemed to enjoy giving him, I do have to wonder if that really should have been the end of the Newman/Abbott wars....

It will be very interesting to see how Sally and Kay try to fix Victor, cause there are no redeeming qualities...........

• Members

I wouldn't've minded Genevieve if she was a businesswoman who became Jill's rival, but tying her to the flop that is Cane along with her biting Tristan Rogers on her debut turned her off from me. 

You're right. It was but she still set the foundation and Josh Griffith's dumb ass gave a poor excuse. They should've just went with the cliche and given Sharon a brain tumor. Sharon doing stupid sh-t has nothing to do with being Bipolar. I think it is a total disservice to those who suffer from the disease. 

• Members

Well they should've just sold Gen as a savvy businesswoman and not tied her to Colin or Cane. They might've gotten some longevity out of her. 

I agree (re: Bipolar disorder). Like I said before, they should've given Sharon the cliche brain tumor and moved on. These shows are too dense now to handle something so complex as Bipolar disorder. 

• Members

This. It was gratuitous. There was no reason for Colleen to die, none at all. It was bad enough they killed off Brad, but killing Colleen off only seven months onwards, the way they did, was a pathetic attempt at Emmy baiting. The acting was good for the most part, but that's the only credibility I can give it.

• Members

I won't defend MAB as I think it was a mistake to give her so much creative power, but Sony and CBS each had a head writer at the table and MAB was required to work with them (Hamner and Sheffer).  Hammer's penchant was weaving murder mysteries and Sheffer's was shock value plot twists/goofy/camp (can we say Chipmunk disguise?)....It was a weird writing committee.  

Archived