Kay Alden back at Y&R

• Members

Jill/Lauren is fine. Only two things could be undone that might help the show: 1) John's death and 2) Philip/Cane. Two disasterous stories that made the show worse not better. OC I don't expect anything to get changed and, frankly, it's better to move forward than to undo. 

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Love John but he needs to remain dead. Soaps need to stop bringing people back from the dead. That's why this genre has been the laughing stock for years. Soaps need to be rooted in realness again. It boggles my mind how simplistic dramas, which are practically soaps, are critically acclaimed and ratings darlings; meanwhile, soaps stray from something they perfected. 

Heavens no to the Phillip/Cane stuff. That's just one of those many on soaps that they need to leave alone. 

I pray SSM and KA just recenter the show. Get this show back to its roots and fix the characters. 

• Members

Will not happy for legal reasons, but the only character you can truly make a case from bringing from the dead is Drucilla. Not only would that drive story, but it's what fans want. Other than that, bringing John back after so many years wouldn't serve any purpose. If anything, you have Dina if you truly feel the Abbott's need a senior leader, which at this point they don't. The Abbott's have Traci for a different persective, plus the kids are so old now. You also have Kyle and Keemo who could infuse that family with new life. The last thing they'd need is John back.

• Members

I'm assuming Pratt is already gone and working on that new Lee Daniels project. So, unless there's a quick interim regime (comprised of the existing breakdown writers), I would assume Sally is getting started this week. 

Isn't Y&R shot about a month in advance? If they start this week, I would assume Sally and Kay will be in the credits by the first week of November the latest.

• Members

Dru is an exception b/c we didn't see her body. We didn't physically see her die. We all saw John die. That's what I mean by that. If a character dies right before our eyes, leave him/her dead.

I agree too that the Abbott clan has too many characters in that family to infuse new life into it. IMO, they need to bring Kyle and Keemo back as Jack needs to move into the patriarchal role. I'm tired of reading about Jack (and Victor too) getting stories that would be given a 20-something year old man. Jack needs to move into his father's position and Kyle or Keemo need to become the present day playboy that Jack used to be.

• Members

My impression is that the show shoots 5/6 weeks ahead, which means the writing has to be a couple weeks ahead of that. Depending on when the HW switch exactly occurs, we're looking at mid-November, maybe December. Whenever it is, it can't come quick enough!

This is what I have been saying. There is a lot to be fixed, but it'll be a disaster if they make an entire show out of undoing past mistakes. They just need to switch to IN character writing and do their best with that. Seriously, just ignore the sh!t stuff as much as possible, almost like it never happened. Occasionally, if necessary, and if there is a great way to do it, things can be changed but they will literally tangle themselves up trying to fix some of the horrors done. 

• Members

Kristoff St. John and Melody Thomas Scott both said they're already working and MTS specified that Y&R has a 5 week lead time. I imagine Pratt has been gone for a long time and Mal is assisting the writers with keeping the show going in the interim and the new writers material will probably start to hit in December. Of course it'll be probably February sweeps before we see what they truly plan on giving us. They'll need time to create their ideal writing staff and also transition the show from the current stories/heavily featured characters to whatever is in their vision. I expect an immediate and obvious change, but I'm not expecting a masterpiece off the bat. It'll take time, but by Feb we should have a clear view on how things will go.

• Members

Agreed on Jack. Victor I feel has moved on and is allowed to be more or less his age, but Jack is just ridiculous. At this point Jack needs to be in a relationship and focused primarily on business and tormenting his children. All of this back and forth with all these young heroines in recent years has been ridiculous. Especially the pairing with Sharon. I'd just put Jill and Jack together at thus point and let them claw each others eyes out, make passionate love, dominate at Jabot and meddle in their childrens lives. I never understood why in 2004 they had the two sleeping with each other and they do have very nice chemistry (and endless history), but they never pursued it and never mention their romantic past.

• Members

I agree their General Hospital appeals more to my sensibilities than Ron Carlivati's did (both as a watcher and writer, but Bell remains the master, or certainly what GH became, though I'm not an avid watcher by any means) but... I'm not certain what the comment relates to or what precipitated it within the context of this thread (or certainly this page) unless it related to their time head writing Y&R. I'm always open to being shown 😊

But the comment in itself is not totally without merit. And I wouldn't dismiss it outright. 

In relation to the new writers, even though they are Bell-developed, and will be interested to see how far their tone departs from what we have now, I don't even know if I can be excited at this point. Maybe when Sally Sussman Morina's first interview his done, and it's all a bit more tangible, I might be. After it, it was Bell's Y&R 1983-2005 (the UK used to be many years behind, and I know it was 1998 when he stepped back and I feel 2003 was the last full year when most if not all clicked) that I fell in love with.

Archived