How about a new soap on Netflix?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It would likely just be a mediocre puffery, and would probably seem more like a failed primetime soap (with more nudity and "naughty" words), so it's hard to say yes, especially when their dramas that try to add soap elements, like House of Cards and Daredevil, end up being panned in the long run. 

• Members

I think Netflix is doing just fine with the Telenovelas that they bring to Netflix. The telenovela structure of a set amount of episodes in a contained series that eventually ends seems well structured to Netflix's habit of cycling shows in and cycling them out on a regular basis.

Any soap that ever goes to Netflix will not be in the traditional structure and certainly not a traditional daytime structure.

• Members

Netflix seems to renew shows here, there and everywhere, so I'm not sure if they use a limited-run structure.

If Netflix shows and primetime shows used the best of old daytime traditions, they'd be a better watch, IMO (even if the 5 days a week format is unfeasible).

• Members

True but none of these shows will ever go on as long as the typical daytime drama goes on (I think HOC is not long for this world, maybe 2 more seasons?). The daytime industry hasn't done much to promote the artistry behind its shows, with production companies like P&G devaluing and trashing their own shows, they've done more to show other would be producers to stay away from anything that resembles a daytime soap.

• Members

Producers still tend to borrow from daytime soaps, it's just they borrow the worst (the "supercouple" and "shipping" phenomenons). There's not much good in daytime soaps these days to emulate, but a good producer would mine their past. I know a lot of people praised Lee Daniels for that before Empire went off the rails. 

Netflix dramas get a lot of hype early on but it doesn't take that long before they start getting the same types of criticism soaps would have if anyone in the industry had cared about them (much of the critical commentary on Daredevil in its second season was about misogyny and racism; a lot of the circle jerks over House of Cards seemed to fade as it became more and more about an unstable man murdering a young woman). 

• Members

I think that if a soap is on Netflix, it can't be 5 days a week. I just can't. I think it needs to be hybrid of what the UK soap structure used to be and what the Australia structure is now. 

1. The episodes need to be 3 days a week max. Nothing more. The five day structure of soaps is old and dead. 

2. Like AUS soaps, they need a break/stint where the show takes a hiatus for a few weeks. Whether it is during the Summer or Christmas/New Years holidays, it needs to happen. 

OLTL & AMC had it down pat but Hulu was the wrong platform, and their production company sucked. 

• Members

that almost sounds like some hybrid of daytime/primetime. IA that the daytime format is dead. Less is more. I'd have the episodes be 25-40 minutes and be 2-3 episodes/week. MTW would be a decent schedule with the rest of the week there for people to catch up/binge.

They should have it set up as seasons like on primetime. I actually think the Tyler Perry format on OWN works out well where you have HAHN run for 13 weeks, go on hiatus and have ILYIR take over for 13 weeks and they rotate. Netflix could develop two shows and have something similar

• Members

The traditonal.5 day a week soap is dead. Its an old dinosaur imo. Honestly the hottest shows seem to be on netflix house of cards. Everyone is going nutso over Narcos and how amazing it is. Netflix is taking over. No milleniels have cable anymore. It would have to be released in seasons. Why not use old soap execs and writers to develop. Net shows are a way of the future. Look at how popular transparent is on amazon. Its all binge watching.

• Members

Here's what I'd want:

Netflix - GIVE ME CLASSIC PRIMETIME SOAPS! You already have the new Dallas, why not add the old Dallas, Knots Landing, Falcon Crest, Hotel, etc? I had heard a rumor that Hulu was adding some of these shows, but nothing has come of it. They recently made a big deal of pushing the 90s by adding Melrose Place, 90210, Party of Five and some other shows and the rumor was that they were next going to focus on the 80s. I still would prefer to binge these shows on Netflix though.

Hulu - They already have a market for soaps so this is where I'd want a new soap. You already have Coronation Street, Hollyoaks, Neighbours and GH airing so it would be the perfect fit. They also do straddled releases so a daily soap would work here. It's a shame AMC and OLTL didn't work out because they were truly perfect for Hulu (and OWN). I would pick a soap up for 30-40 episodes and just see how it goes. If it's successful then pick it up for a second season with more episodes, if not then just move on. I don't think it would be a bad risk to take since they already focus so much on female skewing programming and other soaps. A proper reboot of Dark Shadows would be a smart first soap to do since that show has name recognition and they already air the original series. Plus it's a genre soap so it would attract non-fans. A reboot of Passions would be smart as well. Obviously it wouldn't be written as poorly, but the general ideas of Passions are very interesting and could make a very watchable show with broad appeal if done correctly. 

Archived