• Members

I wasn't sure about just putting this in the ATWT thread as a lot of the show had little to do with ATWT by the end of its run and because the show is so rare that I thought people would want to see it in its own right. 

So anyway, Rob Wargo on Youtube found this very rare episode and here it is:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It was written by Irna Philips and Bill Bell and it definitely has their hallmarks. 

Milette was mostly on ATWT, right? Was she the woman with lupus? Was this the only time she was on here? 

Does anyone remember if the Eldridges mentioned the sister Eve in the Scott story in 1992? I never knew about her.

• Members

More-so of there ATWT.  I do wonder how the show would have turned out with Nixon.  I think the show has low-energy and she would've have spiced it some. 

What are the halmarks of Bells your noticed?  I'm not too familer with his work (but I've been growing more interested in his work over the last year or so).

• Members

On As the World Turns, Millette Alexander played Sylva Hill, R. N.   She later married Dr. Suker.  She did have lupus.   She was one of the few soap opera characters who did.  (Later Megan and Marty on One Life to Live both had lupus.)

Julianne Marie, who played Eve, was married in real life to James Earl Jones.   He was appearing on As the World Turns or had just completed his role on that show.

I think that this was the one of the final episodes.

• Members

Is this the episode without Lisa? Since I'm at work I can't watch, but if so I have that on DVD and have seen it twice. My biggest takeaway was disappointment from the episode I saw. It was meant to compete with Peyton Place, but the episode I saw was basically a daytime soap that aired in primetime. No outdoor shooting, pretty much everything set in just a couple apartment sets and it felt a little stilted. The idea was interesting, but considering I was expecting ATWT does Peyton Place I was a little disappointed.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Thanks. I didn't even know they had a bigger budget - I sure didn't see it in the episode I watched, where I was sure at least one set was a redressed Hughes kitchen. 

I didn't know Sam Groom or Geraldine Fitzgerald were on the show. 

Another reminder of what Broadway lost when the NY soaps died. 

• Members

You're welcome!  I have some very brief synopses I'm trying to compile in some order.  I noticed that the characters played by Groom and Fitzgerald were mentioned less (if at all) as the series went along.  The focus changed to a murder mystery involving the Larsons (David O'Brien and Sandra Smith).  I did come across a letter that a viewer wrote complaining about the series ending without resolution to several hanging stories.

• Members

I was nine years old when this show aired.   I remember that my mother lost interest due to a decline in the character Lisa as the series continued. 

I also remembered that the theme was the same as that of As the World Turns, but I have been corrected in the past.  Hearing the theme on this clip reminded me that the theme did indeed quote the theme song of As the World Turns. 

The composer later scored the theme to ABC's A World Apart, my favorite soap opera theme song.

• Members

Thanks so much for those articles that gave more detail. I always wondered about the taping schedule. A day to rehearse and a day to tape was a luxury compared to ATWT.

I thought the sets looked a little bigger and better dressed on OPW.

It was originally titled 'The Woman Lisa' so the original intent was very much to focus on Fulton. I wonder what caused the shift in emphasis.Has Fyulton ever spoken about OPW?

It was obviously CBS' response to PP, but they weren't prepared to commit to a similar production. Maybe the feeling was that as PP was heavily influenced by daytime, they could get away with that look and feel.

Bit I guess most viewers were turned off, associating it with the live dramas of the 50s,which were then seen as old fashioned and stagey.

PP continued with the half hour format till its' demise. I wonder why they never considered moving to a 1 hour 10pm show.

It wasn't until Executive Suite in the 70's that a true serial was given another shot. (Not sure about ABC's Lana Turner flop The Survivors? I t had continuing threads but was more self contained?)