Soaps That Could Have Been More Relevant Now, Had They Been Created Today

• Members

Although, I wouldn't call these soaps 'ahead of their time', there are certainly soaps that come to mind when I look at the times in which we live and what's going on. When I think about our political situation in the U.S. and worldwide, it makes me think that had Capitol been created in the year 2000, rather than in 1982, perhaps it could've lasted much longer than its five years.  The political characters like Anthony Weiner, Mark Sandford and Larry Craig alone are the stuff of an edgy soap. Even before that families like the Bushes are the stuff of soap. I haven't even gotten to the Clintons, etc.

So Capitol is one soap I always believe would've thrived had it been created 15, 16 years ago, rather than when it was originally created. 

Looking at the Black Lives Matter movement and the influence of Shondaland on media and entertainment, I also can't help but wonder how a Generations created 6 or 7 years ago (rather than in 1989) would've faired. The premise of Generations, really only had to do with having a cast that was equal parts African American, equal parts Caucasian American. I don't remember any specific storylines that dealt with cultural issues on the show, in that sense, Generations was no different than any other soap at the time, except for the ethnic/racial make up of the cast. Had it been created after the election of Barack Obama, I can't help but think that there would've been a massive effort to integrate classic soap themes with topical socio-economic and cultural trends.

But hey, maybe I assume too much and it's really nothing more than wishful thinking.

Are there any shows that come to mind for you all?  Shows that make you think 'if only that show were created recently or ten years ago, it would've had a bigger audience"?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think the concept of The City could've worked more so in the past 10 years versus the mid-90's. The soap wasn't based around central families, but rather single people living in the same proximity. It's not the classic soap opera setup, but more in line with what's popular today. Plus, it's a half-hour and could use hip NYC areas for outdoor shoots. 

• Members

I still miss Capitol - I'm near Washington DC and the setting was different than most soaps. Rather than a Midwestern type of city - and most were imaginary, DC as a real place and setting I thought was cool.  Marj Dusay rocked as Myrna Clegg although I remember the role being played by 2 other actresses?? 

• Members

I so agree with the suggestions thus far in here compared to all the other soaps. 

Capitol, The City, and Generations would've done well nowadays. 

Generations was bold enough to address race issues, and I could so seem them doing a great BLM story. They'd be the only soap to dare to do it. 

The City was ahead of its time with the transgender story. At the height of Caitlin Jenner, The City would've been must see TV. 

Capitol would've been hot especially the past decade where political dramas (Scandal, House of Cards, Madame Secretary) have been in high demand. 

• Members

I thought about Edge of Night too and ITA. I would not want a traditional soap writer to headwrite the show though. I'd prefer someone who is adept at writing thrillers and/or procedurals. I'd actually go out on a limb and go with someone like a Christopher Nolan.  Maybe like a Law and Order or Homicide, assign a rotating group of core writers do several episodes while keeping up the theme of a continuing drama, rather than the self contained episodes that L&O are known for. 

Edge of Night would be pretty cool.

Trying to think of others... 

• Members

Why? What is the premise of Where the Heart Is?

I think any soap that has a situational and not a family set up is easier to translate like mystery/police related serial, medical, political, etc. These type of stories appear and reappear in television and movies. 

• Members

I'd have to agree on EON.  Crime stories never really go out of style.

Conversely, I don't believe GENERATIONS would have succeeded in ANY time period, just because the writing, acting and production values were, IMO, quite poor.

Archived