R.I.P. Gene Wilder

DAMfan

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I remember watching Willy Wonka in school and was so captivated - most of all by Gene’s performance, which was both soft, rough-edged, nasty, and empathetic. It was a bravura performance, and I’m so glad that the movie became beloved by many because that meant they could appreciate his work.

I remember the scene where Wonka limped to the gates, with the parents, kids and reporters worried and confused - only for him to do a somersault. He’s fine! He’s the trained monkey they need him to be! And from the beginning, he does what he does time and time again - shines a line on the shallowness of pop culture. A kind, decent man who struggled to walk let them down. A man who did flips and tricks - he’s what society expects and demands. 

This scene was Gene’s idea, to keep the audience on their toes. And it is, along with everything he did in this movie, and throughout much of his career, brilliant. 

There are a lot of things I will remember about Gene Wilder, like his marriage to Gilda Radner, or his Mel Brooks films, but this movie meant so much to me and I can never thank him enough for it.

Reactions and a statement from his family:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2016/08/29/gene-wilder-dies-age-83---reaction-and-tributes-to-acting-great/

• Members

A genius.  His performance in Young Frankenstein had so many little bits where he threw himself into the role that was so ridiculous but realistic at the same time.    I love as he is realizing just what brain was put into the body and gives this little "ahh" as he starts to lose it. 

and I love the way his is realizing his show business dreams with the dance scene

• Members

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is like The Wizard of Oz., touching the hearts of children generation after generation, and I am no different for either films. Gene Wilder was tremendous, and judging from the scene where he yells at Charlie, which always shook me up, he could play drama just as well as comedy. I didn't waste anytime after reading this news in watching the "Pure Imagination" clip. It is personal shame that I have yet to take the time to watch more of his work.

• Members

Gene Wilder's nephew said that his uncle did not want to reveal his Alzheimer's diagnosis, not out of vanity but because he didn't want to sadden all those kids who had grown up knowing him as Willy Wonka. He didn't want to be responsible for one less smile in the world.:wub:

Arthur Hiller, a prolific director ( Love Story, The Americanization of Emily) who directed Gene, along with Richard Pryor in two movies, just passed away less than 2 weeks ago.

Archived