The Plan to Save DAYS: 2016 Edition

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

After reading the article, I can't help but notice his interview is pretty brief in comparison to other "Save DAYS" interviews, and his explanation/preview of what's coming up to entice viewers back is quite vague and non-specific. Okay, we have a few villains coming back, two of which were recent and relatively unknown in the grand overall landscape of DAYS. Plus, we have Kassie DePaiva and they seem to have Matt Ashford back on a moment's notice whenever Jenn is hallucinating. 

He seems worn out. Part of me feels he's the problem, part of me feels like he's got his hands tied as he's watching a loved one get beaten. I don't get it or the situation. Why has it been such a roller coaster ride when it comes to staying on top of the quality of the program content these past 6-7 years? 

Edit: Actually, it seems it's been an up and down battle since 2003, when NBC gave him the mandate to bring Reilly back or else. However, it was after the budget was slashed and the storylines faltered by 2010 that it seems so terribly inconsistent. 

• Members

Actually, I think the problem is a bigger one: Just who IS running this show behind the scenes? Is it Ken Corday? Is it Bruce Evans? Is it Greg Meng? Sony??

I will blame NBC for Reilly. That was a shitstorm from the get-go. I'd like to know what the real plan for that SSK story was, because had Reilly been allowed to continue it Days would have been gone by 2005 or 2006. They were facing whole-scale audience mutiny.

I will also blame NBC for slashing the budget so badly we lost Marlena and John for a few years. I'll also blame a few of the former NBC execs no longer in charge of the show.

However, there's more blame to go around. TomSell for writing a show so devoid of romance, drama and simple family stories. Corday for letting this go on too long.

If we could get one person for the production (which has to be scaled back so we're not seven months ahead in taping) and one or two people in charge of the writing -- and get a CLEAR, CONCISE vision for the show -- Days has a chance.

Oh, and whatever it takes to get Peter Reckell back. I wonder if he and Steve Burton could share the same flights from Nashville to LA... lol

• Members

He has no taste.  That is the problem.  He is EP because he inherited the show.  Any success the show has had during his tenure has strictly been writer and production driven. When he lacks strong people in those roles, the show falls apart.

the production model, writing the show around a few characters only, and letting it get either stupid, dark, or both kills any momentum they build with returns or an exciting character here or there.

Knowing Sami was leaving and not building an exit or other characters up to fill that void was a huge mistake.  Killing Will was a huge mistake.  Sidelining all their gay characters was a huge mistake.  Killing Bo in the storyline they used was a huge mistake.  Killing Stefano like they did was a waste.  Having a serial killer storyline that was building interest only to drop it before it peaked was stupid.  Bringing Aiden back was stupid.  Casting all these kids and then giving Ciara a story she can't carry-awful.

Dena Higley is an awful writer.  Greg Meng seems really nice, but the visual show and casting hasn't been great and there is a lack of energy that he clearly has a role in somewhere.

• Members

I never liked Aiden, good or bad.

But I think Days realized many did like him (once) with Hope and TIIC realized they f*****d up royally, especially since Bo/Peter Reckell was not coming back permanently (although I *really* wish he would reconsider). I think they figured he could return and have it said he was controlled by Andre or some crap.

The trouble is, Aiden wasn't killed by a car crash or fall down the stairs. He was killed after Bo stopped him from *murdering* Hope. So why would anyone want him back with her?!

I think the show thought it could be rectified even after the gross angle of Aiden's son raping Hope's daughter. But once someone with a brain realized things were too far gone, they just decided to say screw it and keep Aiden on as a (bland) bad guy.

But Rafe and Hope SUCK, so that was no better. I'm sure Dena Higley's heart was breaking when many wouldn't accept them. And still don't seem enthused.

• Members

Ken Corday has no taste but he does have ADHD, which is why there are so many reboots, rewrites, hirings, firings and re-hirings (Cosgrove, etc.) and revolving writers. He trusts no one but his pals, which is why Dena, Tomlin, etc. keep being rehired.

DAYS will never change for the better unless Ken Corday is made to walk away.

Archived