Netflix: Luke Cage

Vee

• Members

Featuring Mike Colter as Luke Cage, with Rosario Dawson as Claire Temple (a.k.a. the "Night Nurse"), Simone Missick as Misty Knight, Alfre Woodard as Mariah Dillard, and Mahershala Ali as Cottonmouth Stokes. Also: OLTL's own Frankie Faison, the great character actor best known for everything from Silence of the Lambs to The Wire.

I really love the news that the show will also feature live musical acts during episodes - reminds me of New York Undercover.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members

It's very worth watching.

Shocking because it was all but assumed renewed, and was in pre-production on Season 3. According to the trades its cancellation is part of the power struggle creatively between Netflix and Marvel, which is soon launching a new streaming service - Netflix wanted changes, some other party didn't budge. I know the Marvel Comics creative group - not connected to the Marvel movie group, and spearheaded by the comics wing and possibly Ike Perlmutter - was heavily involved with that. Netflix also does not own the shows outright, which was an expensive sticking point when filming in NYC.

I'd hope Marvel will choose to relaunch it on their service.

• Members

Someone said that this may have to do with Disney's plans to launch their own streaming service.

The second season was a bit disappointing to me but I still thought it merited a third season, so I wouldn't be surprised if a Luke Cage series is re-launched on a new Disney streaming service.  

Iron Fist and Luke Cage are both canceled, will Jessica Jones be next?

• Members

I personally suspect it may have to do with the Marvel TV creative group, as I mentioned. They are made up of several head creatives from the comics line plus the infamous Ike Perlmutter, and they used to attempt to micromanage the MCU films before Kevin Feige demanded the film line be divested from the creative group and Perlmutter entirely. They were known to be difficult to deal with.

Archived