Rio Olympics

Soapsuds

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I hear you DD.

SS 5 medals? They mainly did it because he's the most decorated at 22, and if what they're saying is true the other athletes voted him. So any gripes people have would moreso be with them than him.

I could not watch the opening as it was bogged down with commercial after commercial after commercial. I commented on one of my other communities that Id id not recall so much blatant disrespect and disregard as a viewer in 2008 or 2012 when I watched their opening uninterrupted. NBC's lame a** excuse that they delayed it for "relevant commentary" and not for what it so obviously was, GREED. I did enjoy streaming the BBCs coverage as they had it in real time and they only interject a little here and there.

Overall I am SO happy that their ratings were sh!t because so many people felt how I did with a commercial after three minutes of coverage, come back and then they're onto a new segment. NBC also has the most disrespectful hosts. 

I had a lot of feels.

• Members

I'll say this much...Danell Leyva looks great with hair on that chest.

That said...it's cool Brazil is competing and they are so passionate about it.

And I'm admitting that I'm giggling at how America seem...uh...excited in a different way. But that happens to all guys.

I am sad John Orzoco is going through it right now and can't compete. My heart is out to him with the passing of his mother.

• Members

Live stream!  I watched the women's qualification on NBC last night and they took super long breaks and half the time they were showing the women standing around and acting like this was live and not pre-taped.  It is really annoying when they preempt their daytime lineup and don't show the stuff live because they want to save it for primetime.  The sports airing live get better coverage.

• Members

All I have to say is thank God for modern-day recording, versus old-school VCR's. I can zip through 5 hours of stuff I don't want to watch to watch the one hour of gymnastics peppered throughout. 

Speaking of gymnastics again, have y'all seen the footage of the French male gymnast who cracked his leg while doing the vault? I'm horrified. That's chilling to see. 

• Members

The flag bearer from Tonga stated that a very 'nice lady' behind him was helping him put on the coconut oil and put too much on. Apparently she kept rubbing and rubbing and wouldn't stop.:blush:

I caught the opening ceremony on BBC, thank goodness for VPN, is all I can say but when it was over, I did turn back and watch some of the remaining NBC coverage which was an hour behind and found the commentary depressing.   The "Olympic Spirit" should not be all about how much money networks and sponsors can make. There should be a region-free worldwide feed where people can at least have the option of seeing a livestream of the Opening and Closing ceremony without commentary, therefore there would be no big salaries to be paid.

Rio marked the start of a more budget-conscious Olympics. 

As less and less countries actually want to take on the huge logistical nightmare of hosting an Olympics, as well as technology becoming more of a force that the big networks can no longer circumvent and control (seriously, they're trying to ban GIFs at the Olympics?!:rolleyes:), perhaps TPTB might find that their hands will be forced into taking a slightly more altruistic route whether they like it or not. I really think that we're getting closer to the days of 'open borders' when it comes to streaming major worldwide events.

• Members

So glad to hear! Admittedly, I was hoping to find out while watching, but it was already spoiled for me on Facebook. Hadn't thought about the time difference. 

I have yet to watch the men's team, but I'm surprised they stumbled to 5th place overall. 

• Members

Rio is a 2 hour difference time zone wise but NBC is saving it for primetime instead of showing it live during the day. The men were horrible. I watched it. They kept trying to pump each other up after the first round had them in last place until the final round when Danell Leyva fell on his back on the horizontal bar. NBC didn't even start the coverage of their competition until the last 15 min of the broadcast which was way past primetime and then they cut it off until after midnightLOL

Archived