Y&R: Peter Bergman & Jason Thompson Interview

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Peter's comments that Mal wants to shake up the status quo piqued my interest.He's right that previous producers wanted to keep what worked before, which ended up destroying the show by repeating the same stories and driving characters into the ground.

Interesting times ahead..

• Members

Soaps are stuck in the rut of the past and they need to change course to survive. They used to be the ones that drove home real issue storylines, with soapy twists, of course, and that got people talking. Now most know the soaps by name recognition and are shocked they are still on the air. Now primetime shows push the envelope, go darker and become more soapy (even if some want to deny it, Shonda) and drive home real issues.

Soaps just aren't allowed to do that anymore. I have to admit I'm such a fan of the soap genre, I love how the soaps are, but it's time to get away from the ridiculous dialogue, the long recapping between characters, the long stares, the dramatic pauses .... soaps are basically a parody of themselves and are going through the motions to survive. They aren't telling stories anymore, IMHO.

Anywho .... Y&R could probably do well following a UK-ish format. It's time for change. Problem is, soap fans rebel, even when they say they want change and YES, I AM going to drop the PP soaps again. Just because some didn't personally like them doesn't mean that wasn't the right direction they needed to be going in.

Archived