Production Begins on Victoria Rowell's 'The Rich and The Ruthless'

• Members

While Jamey is hilarious IMO most times during the podcast, he's always a bit full of himself.....with that said, I honestly think he would be a great HW at Y&R. He knows the history, and I think even wrote a couple scripts not too long ago...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I hope this does well for HER, but I can't support anything with Jamey Giddens after he and his Daytime Confidential pals worked so hard to trash the Prospect Park soaps for daring to exist after their beloved wank fantasies "Cartini" stayed at ABC. Anyway, best of luck to Vicky.

• Members

It just sticks in my craw. These shows were likely doomed no matter what, but to see them outright dismissed that way after all the years of blather from the soap "press" about the future of soaps and what must be done to revive soaps - it was a real eye-opener. So when I see his name attached, I am put off. They wanted to stay on the deck of the Titanic. The lifeboats are long gone as far as I'm concerned. 

I do like Victoria Rowell, so I'm rooting for her. I just wish he wasn't involved.

• Members

I'm not gonna hate at all. Considering she is blacklisted in the soap world, it speaks volumes she was able to get this project funded and produced. I like her hiring Jamey as well because we know he's passionate about soaps and he's fresh blood. The cast isn't the most noteworthy, but most of them can act and what do you expect? It's a miracle she even got this off the ground. I'm very happy for her. 

• Members

I'm happy for her as well, as smart of her to film in Jamaica.

Hopefully it comes out decent. Not sure about Jamey's attachment but maybe he will surprise us?

But LOL at the cast. I was like who are half of these people and I'm usually pretty up on who people are but if they can all act, then I'm good.

That bothered me too. Big time. I agree they would have probably failed, but it was all mostly due to the cost involved in making them. I'm pretty confident they did just fine for Hulu and probably for OWN. The petty lawsuit and those three refugees THAT WERE NOT NECESSARY ON GENERAL HOSPITAL killed anything these shows had going for them.

• Members

I'm fine with a cast that are mostly not well known but maybe don't advertise them as being big stars:lol:. I am still somewhat salty about the so-called soap press' perceived lack of support for the TOLN soaps but I am a bit more irritated with PP for their inability to sustain these shows after making big promises. There is a good amount of blame to go around in that regard.

Like I said before, I truly hope this venture works out. I think the daytime drama genre is ripe for  another show that looks behind the curtain and pokes fun or satirizes it a bit. As well as saying that I wasn't going to wish ill on JG, I also stressed that screenwriters are viewed as being a dime a dozen (you're literally a hired hand) and it is not uncommon for there to be more than one screenwriter and if Jamey's work doesn't hit the mark, Rowell strikes me as someone to make some personnel changes and fast! 

One thing that made me chuckle though was the possibility that JG could be penning a script that actually obliquely skewers Y&R and the remaining daytime dramas. Oh, it would be such irony!:P

• Members

The only names on that cast list I recognize are Brenda Epperson, whose work I've never seen, and Dawnn Lewis.

People are still stuck on those garbage Prospect Park incarnations of AMC and OLTL, huh? They were just more of the same nonsense we got on ABC! Bad production values and stupid storylines. You can keep it.

• Members

It wouldn't have mattered if they were dream soaps - they were ignored and/or opposed by sites like DC because Ron and Frank weren't there to have a Ford brother walking around in a towel. All that talk about the future of soaps went up in smoke as soon as their pets weren't onboard. 

• Members

You're drunk, go home.

I agree. But I separate the incompetent PP management from the actual shows, and the production teams and ensembles who made and delivered those shows, which I thought were the best soaps of the decade thus far. I think if they'd had actual decent funding and management and not grifters, they'd still be on today and going strong.

If people want to talk about the future of American daytime soaps, my answer is we already saw it and it's gone, but if anyone wants to do it again they'll be doing it the same way - 30 minutes or 45, on streaming. And I think they will do it again with something. But I think those shows were excellent. And I think DC didn't get behind them because for all their talk of updating the genre they were very into starfucking and finally getting attention and recognition via their relationships with people in the industry, i.e. the then-current regime at GH. They were blinded by that, and it didn't help that many of them had little relationship with, let's say, OLTL prior to Cartini. They've soured on those relationships now, but they were in too deep and couldn't see anything beyond a sort of clannishness. They were and are glorified fans who befriended a head writer and got used by that team as a press wurlitzer.

Jamey Giddens is passionate, and there have been many times I deeply agree with him despite myself. But I don't think he's a journalist, I think he can be his own worst enemy and I don't think he always knows what he's talking about. I also think his taste is often suspect and stuck in the Aaron Spelling/Nolan Miller '80s - and when he used to try to tesitfy about the greatness of Ron's OLTL despite watching the show for less than a decade overall I wanted to put my head through a wall. I'm not sure he should be writing any existing soap, but he knows certain ones inside and out and if he wants to do this project with Rowell more power to him. I just hope they don't get into another public fight, because I remember him having one of his ill-advised twitter meltdowns about her a few years ago.

Archived