Y&R: July 2016 Thread

• Members

OK, I misunderstood. When Phyllis said I'm going to tell him tomorrow, I thought she meant the whole story.  It's still odd. She was planning to be with Billy, so unless Jack has lost a lot of IQ points he was going to figure it out.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Have you seen the ratings? Look at the 18-49 demo. This demo is sinking faster than the TItanic!  Senior citizens being the ONLY ones watching is why there are only 4 soaps left on the air.  Sheesh why do you think millions of dollars are spent doing this research and Neilson ratings every year?

• Members

And I'm a Gay Male who just bought $3000 of useless [!@#$%^&*] to send to friends as gifts.  I'm 46.  EXACTLY Einstein.  The only people who are watching are OLD.  The young people are running through cemetaries trying to find a Pokemon reward on their CELL PHONES.  There isn't ANYTHING you can do to make them WATCH. 

• Members

Unfortunately because we don't see CBS app or website numbers, it's hard to tell if the demo numbers are made up through other platforms. The fact that Y&R consistently adds  an additional 10% daily through a relatively unknown cable station, leads me to believe the numbers are pretty solid. 

And unlike other actors, JW hardly comes across as old in any manner. Her energy and performances transcend age. 

• Members

Gunning for JW is not okay.  Especially with Jeanne Cooper gone and the show in dire need of a strong, authoritative, matriarchal voice with ties to the show's very roots.  Take that [!@#$%^&*] somewhere else, girl.

• Members

Jess Walton's presence has really glued me to the show and her liners have really made me smile!  Jill/JW, in a world were daytime serials didn't screw up, would have been the archetype for the '21st Century' matriarch.  She is of the age as the traditional one but she could still be in GREAT story and stir trouble.  She proves that you don't have to reduce a character stamina to 'Grandma Kate' to be the reach out as the 'Voice of Reason'.

Here is my take on the show though.

Firstly, I'm not saying that the show is good as it was prior to 2006, IMO the show was solid until then but could have been better, but it's holding my attention.  Perhaps it's because I'm thinking too much on what I'd do?

Production:

The sound still is odd to me.  It seems like the receivers from the mics aren't picking up on bass notes.  Makes me want to pump up the Db's on the left bands and the mid-bands (Sound Tech talk LOL). 

The scene length, however, is pretty decent as of late and if I'm not mistaken the directing has improved--at least the style is on-par. 

Substance:

The thing that stood out to me in the old days was that virtually every scene seemed to be set to 'Nadias Theme'.  Music, sounds, affect writers and if I were assigned to write this I would have it played softly as I crafted each scene to give it the feel.  That is one thing that is missing.  

Once they fix all of that I think they would have a foundation for improving the overall show.

• Members

+1 

Jess Walton's return has been the best thing to happen to this f-cking show in a decade. It's also the first time in a decade that Jill Abbott (f-ck that Fenmore Atkinson crap) has been written like Jill Abbott. Janice Ferri Esser's hands have been all over those scripts and it shows.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Made my way to July 12th. Starting around the fourth, I can see marked difference in the production values-- the stories, still crappy, but at least Al is peeling off the blue paint at the mansion. I had hoped JT would be much better as Billy, but I mostly blame that on the UpChuck writing. Phyllis is an adult, not a thirteen year old girl with a crush. I wouldn't want to run home to Jack Abbott either, but GMAFB...

Archived