Noah Galvin backlash re Colton Haynes & Coming Out

John

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The answer (which I PMed) is actually in reference to my favorite sequence on the show so far - not something you'd have seen with a male in that age range (or maybe at all) on ABC five years ago, let alone ten.

• Members

You wouldn't cut an episode order just for that unless there wasn't much investment in the show to begin with. 

After that lovely story of how he berated a guest star for not being openly gay enough to grope, I'm not surprised if he's hard to deal with on the set. 

• Members

It wouldn't have been the first time a network reacted so strongly to an actor's outspokenness.  Allegedly, CBS cancelled "Lou Grant" after the 1981-82 season due to, among other issues, Ed Asner's candid remarks about the Reagan administration's policy regarding El Salvador.  Of course, CBS denied the allegations, citing dwindling ratings for its decision to axe the show after five years.  But Asner (and others) has always suspected otherwise.

Regardless, though, I can't see ANY network, even in THIS day and age, threatening to cut an episode order for one of their series, or even cancelling it outright, just because one actor made unhappy talk about two OTHER actors that, in turn, upset a whole bunch of people who read it.  Was ABC pleased with Galvin's comments?  No.  Did they have a sit-down with him, whereupon they instructed him to issue his apology on Twitter?  Probably.  But would they have cut the episode order on "The Real O'Neals" as a means of punishing him?  I'd sooner believe that CBS was reviving "I Spy"...with Isaiah Washington and T.R. Knight.

Frankly, I'm not either.  To me, it was one thing to say everything he said in that interview, but to say what he said AND come across as, well, as entitled as he did...?  If anything, ABC probably would instruct the show's producers to de-emphasize his character -- not recast him, or kill him off, but make him less prominent on the series -- and build up the other, supporting characters.

Archived