The Six Million Dollar Man & The Bionic Woman

SoapDope

• Members

Anyone else a fan of these two classic 70's shows ? I recently bought the DVD's and have been watching. Lindsay Wagner was amazing in the role of Jaime Sommers. Jaime was brought on for a 2 part episode arc in SMDM in early 1975 and died at the end when her body rejected her bionics. After the episodes aired they went on summer break. There was such a huge public outcry with people calling ABC and truck loads of mail flooding the studio. The writers realized they had made a mistake and quickly wrote a script where she was brought back in the season premiere 2 parter, but she had lost her memory of her and Steve's romance. They then figured after everyone saw Jaime alive they could write her off again and the public would be satisfied. The public again flooded the network and studio with calls and letters. They then realized they had struck gold and created the spinoff  "The Bionic Woman".  

The love story of Steve and Jaime kept viewers tuning in to see if Jaime would get her memory back and if they would get together. It took them 20 years to get to the altar in a reunion movie. This is a nice video of Steve and Jaime's journey that someone posted that was shown to Lee and Lindsay for a Q&A session .

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was a fan of the shows  I have the box set of TSMDM and all the seasons of TBW. I preferred TBW actually over TSMDM. I have to say that the box set of TSMDM is awesome!  Lee Majors was a hunk back in the day.

• Members

I used to love TSMDM.  TBW struck me as a little silly, especially when she got a bionic dog.  I think people of a certain age will always remember Andre The Giant as Bigfoot and that weird tunnel, the fembots on TBW, and Steve singing that song about Jaime.   They were good ideas but I imagine time and inflation makes them not so impressive now.

Archived