Jean and Shelly's one year contract up. Will ABC renew?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wouldn't be averse to bringing in Sheri Anderson (who wrote for GH back in its late-'70's heyday, if I'm not mistaken).  It wouldn't guarantee anything since I'm convinced ABC is all about micro-management, but who knows?

• Members

These are all tired old merry-go-round hacks going from soap to soap churning out the same tired vision.   GH is slowly dying, so ABC should roll the dice and bring in someone completely new from outside the usual suspects who might actually have a new idea for what soaps can do.    Old P&G writers who were completely out of touch with what the public wanted in 2006 wouldn't be great candidates in 2016.  GL had abysmal ratings and couldn't find an audience, not sure bringing in someone who wrote the show that nobody but the hardcore wanted to watch is the way to go to reviving daytime.   If Jill Lorie Hurst, Addie Walsh and company had any idea what the TV public wanted to see, maybe those shows would still be on the air.   Certainly the writers of GL and AMC circa 2000s are not the people with the track record for having their finger on the pulse of the TV public.

• Members

I'd only want Claire Labine back for one week - for the sole purpose of undoing Delia's connection to Ava. Crossovers can be fun, but Dee should never have been permanently tied to that character. Once that's done, Claire can leave. Loved her Ryan's Hope. But her GH? Not again, thanks.

• Members

Have to disagree with your description of these "tired old merry-go-round hacks". Sri Rao and Jill Lorie Hurst have hardly gone from soap to soap. Rao helmed GH: Night Shift. One soap. Lorie Hurst was at one soap -- Guiding Light -- for 15 years and didn't become head writer until the final season, and it was a credit she shared with three other scribes. Michele Val Jean is one of the most respected writers in the genre and was head writer for GH for a mere four months before she was kicked to the curb in favor of Megan McTavish.

• Members

Would you sillies stop floating names of senior citizens who've retired or have no interest, or who would never be hired, as headwriters. No, GH will not hire Labine, Broderick, Anderson etc.

Here are my wild card picks if Jelly gets replaced:  Carlivati (don't be surprised because Vickie Drummer gave him a twitter shout out on emmy night).  Josh Griffith: yes he's pretty much detested as a hack but that never stops the networks from recycling.  Look at how ABC picked up Jelly from YR after their lackluster year on that soap.  ABC is not going to break in a new untested writer or a vet who's been in retirement.  If it's not Carlivati or Griffith, then I'd think they'd go with a co-headwriting duo with Liz Korte and Anna Cascio or Anna/Chris Van Etten.

• Members

She's a soap hopper, a member of the elite crew that has permanent job security in daytime and is never out of work for long.    Writers like her and Higley--whoever--it doesn't matter if their work sells or doesn't sell, they get hired and rehired again and again.   She might have written a great story in 1997 once, but I am not sure that means she gets a lifetime contract in soaps.   I would have no desire to see her come back to GH and show us her attempt at a well written mob.    It's time for a writer fhat is going to break the mold, not serve up comfy stories about mobsters having cancer or something similar.

Archived