John Carpenter Returns To Halloween Franchise

Roman

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Good. At least he'll probably recapture what Halloween was always about instead of what it became. It was never a gory, over-the-top slasher film it became after the 2nd film. The fear was more psychological and suspenseful. The fear was more about Michael, this monster, being the one thing that could destroy the structure of which suburbia was built on. That vision being that it was a form of utopia; it is supposed to be safe and traditional. Michael usurped that ideal. 

I liked Halloween H20 as it somewhat recaptured what the original 2 films possessed. Halloween 4 & 5 I don't hate but they never captured the suspense like the original 2 films. All the other films, I ignore. Especially, the Rob Zombie versions. I think they are pure utter trash. 

• Members

HALLOWEEN (the original from 1978) is one of my favorite films, and one of the reasons I love it is because it relies on suspense and imagination rather than predictable, explicit gore. When friends ask me about the series, I tell them to watch the original and H20, and forget about the rest. If they persist, I may add the original HALLOWEEN II, but the Zombie films were wretched.

Archived