Midnight, Texas: Discussion Thread

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

So...watched first episode and haven't decided yet. It felt like they threw too much in all at once, no buildup. Don't hate it but don't love it either. Def will give it another chance. Right now it feels like a mashup of Supernatural and Haven. They even have a character of the "Rev" like in Haven. So the main guy is a real psychic medium whose career depends on people believing he's real yet he tells people he's a fake? The vampire is the dude from season 3 of "Sleepy Hollow." 

Hopefully, they'll slow the pace down a bit now that they've made sure we know who everybody is, what their oddities are, who they're hooking up with and who they want to hook up with. 

• Members

So, I guess I'm the only one here that's watched this but that may change. Second episode in and I'm finding it a bit too over-the-top, even for a supernatural series. 

Please register in order to view this content

I hear it's based on books that I have no knowledge of, so none of that for me to compare it to. They throw so much in there, events happen too fast, the acting is somewhat cringe-worthy, it makes the whole thing feel kind of caricaturish, almost like a spoof of the genre. Was hoping it'd be a worthy successor to Grimm but I'm not feeling it.

Edited by applcin

• Members

Monday nights on NBC, 10 pm eastern. 

Basically, it's about a bit of a roguish guy who's a psychic medium. He sees dead people and they can also inhabit his body. His dead grandmother sometimes rides shotgun. He goes to this town called Midnight where there are other strange characters, like a vampire, a witch, skinheads, guys who sprout wings, turn into tigers and other weird stuff happens.

• Members

Perfect description!  My kind of show but you pretty much summed it up.  On NBC on a Monday night?  Who in the sam hell greenlit this?!  This is not Grimm.  

I have absolutely no understanding of why any of this is happening.  Just that folks come to this town because they are different.  If you are going to explain later, tell me something about the main character that interest me while I wait.  Wow!  Just a mess!  

• Members

I've never seen True Blood. I added it to my watchlist just the the other day but haven't started it yet. If it's anything like this, I don't know if I will. This show is trying to do too much too fast, some of the acting is just bad...like I said, it feels more spoofy than serious, like let's throw in everything about the genre we can think of. 

I tend to compare it to Grimm because I was a fan, and because it seems NBC was offering this up as a replacement to retain the fans...the promo even aired during the finale of Grimm. But they're really apples and oranges...different writers, the main character was slowly learning about what he was and the world in which he lived. The idea of going to a town full of special people also reminded me of "Haven" but, again, that was less about monsters and demons than it was about ordinary people with strange abilities or "troubles" they were trying to control. It's probably closer to "Supernatural" but that is better written and paced....13 seasons count for something.

Edited by applcin

• 9 months later...
  • Members

Watching it now ahead of Season Two...and I actually like it. But I like my shows weird...and a town full of secrets. Doesn't hurt that Lexi from THE VAMPIRE DIARIES is in this and so far my favorite characters. And I have to disagree about buildup.

So far...(I'm at Episode 8 now and it's only 10 episodes)...

1)there was the mystery of who was after Psychic Guy...which was resolved quickly with some good specific effects but I'm bias to telekinetics.

2)the serial killer storyline which did not drag on too long

3)and this 'hell is coming'/demon after witch thing which seems to be the seasonal arc over everything and that's been building nicely...

Anyone still watching?

• 5 months later...
  • Members

So....I gave this one more try. I watched the season premiere. Finally admitted I either don't like or don't care about these characters. I understand the show is based on books that I've never read so I guess I'm coming at it from outside but I keep comparing it to other shows that just seem to have done it all better, like Supernatural and Buffy. I'm glad there's talk of a Grimm 2.0. 

• 3 years later...
  • Members

I've read that Midnight, Texas is in the same universe as True Blood. I don't think so. Just a few continuity errors I've found that don't support the same universe theory: vampire fangs are completely different  and the making of a vampire is different between series. There's probably other things but these are the two most obvious.