Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Toups

Riverdale: Discussion Thread

26 posts in this topic

I saw this and thought that it was a C+ pilot at best and didn't deserve the label critically acclaimed.  I seriously have no idea what the critics saw in this other than a desperate need for a non-supernatural teen show or they lowered their standards for this type of show. 

Did Berlanti see the Funny or Die Edgy Archie and not get the joke or did he just want to have an alternate universe Archie fanfic come to life? 

I had my problems with it, but there was enough good for me see if it improves.

Edited by lovely_m
spacing

Cole Sprouse with the dark hair, damn...

KJ as a redhead is also whoa...

I do love that Ashleigh Murray who plays Josie was a fan of the Archie comics.

Isn't one of the showrunners also one of the heads of Archie Comics?

The girl playing Cheryl resembles Holland Roden a lot, had to do a double take

I don’t really expect anything from Greg Berlanti, but I’m saddened that Archie Comics would take a character they created to try to show diversity and acceptance and, at a time when racism is more openly accepted and encouraged than it has been in a number of years, retool him as some walking stereotype for white viewers to feel comfortable hating, laughing at, seeing get tortured, and so on. But at least we have all those other great characterizations for black men or black people on television...

Yet I imagine I’ll still have to read endless articles about how diverse this show is...

8 minutes ago, cassadine1991 said:

I am surprised we haven't seen Kevin flirt with Archie

Surely we have enough scenes of one-note bitchy gays pining over straight men.

3 minutes ago, DRW50 said:

Surely we have enough scenes of one-note bitchy gays pining over straight men.

since this show is "dark", I'm waiting for one of them to corner Archie in the locker room. 

I've been waiting for this show for a few months now. Never was into the Archie stuff - I think my generation just wasn't exposed to it much at all outside of Sabrina (and, to a lesser extent, Josie), but I'm always interested in teen dramas, especially the increasingly rare non-fantasy/non-scifi variety. I haven't watched a single episode yet, and the reviews aren't making me want to use my precious TV time on it just yet.

But Cole Sprouse is going to end being enough to make me want to tune in, I just know it.