Kelly Ripa and Michael Strahan exit drama

DRW50

• Members

That's what I'm thinking, too, Vee.  The ONLY reason I could see the brass not letting "Live!" know before everyone else is because they ultimately see the show as expendable, regardless of its success.  They want a third hour of GMA, and they are willing to do whatever it takes to get it.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Perhaps, someone who can't trust their spouse to be faithful when they aren't around?

(Allegedly.)

For the record, I definitely agree with Vee, with dragonflies, and with quartermainefan's opinions on Ripa's diva fit.  Was ABC's attitude toward her in this shitty?  Definitely.  But I feel like the CLASSY thing to have done in that situation -- if only for the sake of your audience and public image -- would have been to soldier on and leave the offstage drama where it belongs.  After all, Reege (allegedly) didn't let her know of his decision to quit either, and as far as I know, she didn't retaliate by staying her ass at home.

• Members

This is so juicy.

When the exit announcement was made, it felt sudden and confusing, but once she skipped work you knew sh!t was going down. 

As for diva antics? Meh, she earned it. She's been on long enough and successful enough to be HELLA pissed they treated her the way they did and this will send a STRONG message. It's not as if y'all haven't called out, last minute, from work for petty reasons :P At least she called the night before to tell them she's not going. LOL

• Members

It does here….if rumors are true that Kelly and Strahan didn't get along why is she so pissed? Cause she wanted a full time stint on GMA too? She should be throwing a party that he is gone not being AWOL…IMO...

• Members

It's not about that. It's more to do with the fact that she was left out of the loop, even though she's AT LEAST 50% of what makes that show (if not more) and the show is now left in uncertainty considering a great replacement has to be found in a short amount of time. If that doesn't work out, the whole show is in jeopardy. 

• Members

"if rumors are true that Kelly and Strahan didn't get along why is she so pissed? Cause she wanted a full time stint on GMA too? She should be throwing a party that he is gone not being AWOL…IMO..."

My thinking is that Ripa is pissed that neither she nor anyone else at "Live!" was notified until roughly the same time as the rest of us.  Otherwise, had Strahan notified them ahead of time, she'd probably be relieved to see him going.

• Administrator

Kelly being upset by this is understandable. How could ABC not loop in Kelly in on this?  I don't think ABC wants to get rid of the show - it does very well in the ratings.   Also, I read on Deadline.com that some of the GMA people aren't happy by this move too.  Ben Sherwood is not looking good in my eyes.  First he wants ABC Primetime to be more like CBS Primetime (he wants more procedurals), now this mess.  And he's a contender for Iger's job wants Iger retires.  Yikes. 

• Members

I have noticed Kelly Ripa though has changed when she was on AMC she was very cute and humble. Even when she started with Regis. I don't know if it's her getting top billing making 20 million a year and over 100 million networth. U guys know Ripa is worth over 100 million. She seems like a diva now and very full of herself.

• Members

Honestly, if they could get Anderson Cooper to co-host with Kelly alongside his usual CNN show (and with outs for when he goes on location with CNN), that would be amazing. People would be saying "Michael who?" Anderson is funny, a great host, but never comes across as cruel in his jokes or alienating to his audience. And this is why Live works. It's not a 'mean' show. It is an upbeat one.

• Members

The whole respect argument is silly.  Is she Miss Ross?  Is she Miss Streisand?   Because she sounds like she thinks she is.    Had she known what would be different?  Nothing, so the only issue is her ego is hurt that nobody thought she was someone whose approval was needed.   It wasn't, and clearly they don't have the personal relationship where he wanted her opinion on what she thought he should do.   He is also full of it because he goes on TV after this with the "I love you Kelly" BS.  Well, just how much does he love her?   She clearly isn't someone whose opinion he values.   She doesn't love him either, so why the hurt feelings?   And then you come back to the only answer:  the diva nonsense.

Archived