Actors who didn't improve or got worse during their time on soaps?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Anthony Geary.  As iconoclastic as he was BITD, a combination of ego and boredom made him an absolute pain to watch by the end of his last GH run.  His decision to "retire" was, and is, a blessing in disguise.

When someone like John Wesley Shipp gives bad performances (as their errant dad), you KNOW soaps ain't what they used to be.

• Members

I think Drake is great, he doesn't and hasn't needed to improve.   Not everyone's goal is to be a realistic and serious master actor.   He is there to entertain and sell his story.   Through the years he has sold the most outlandish material with the straightest of faces all the while being one of the alltime most popular DOOL stars.   Now I admit he is no Rick Hearst, and lucky for him he isn't.   He's better than Rick Hearst and many other emmy winners.   Now better at what is the question, but whatever Drake is better at is better than being good at whatever it is Rick Hearst is good at.    This is just like comparing William Shatner to Patrick Stewart and listening to the PS fans go on about what a great Shakespearean actor old Patrick is, and yet does that matter?   William Shatner is the legend, the icon, the man.

With one raise of an eyebrow Drake sells a scene.   I don't know he needs to be cast in Macbeth or Hamlet, but if I were casting a soap Drake would be right up there towards the top for who I can count on to do the job.    Unlike certain daytime emmy legends, he also hasn't been fired from every soap in the land.

As for some of the others mentioned, people like Brandon Beemer and Ryan Paevey are also actors who are good at doing what they are good at:  walking around with no clothes.   I would take either one of them as my leading man over pudgy, bloated emmy winner Tyler Christopher--who often looks swollen and suffering from an allergic reaction to medication.   They're selling fantasy, not starring in the latest oscar art film.   Nobody is asking them to be as good as Helen Mirren or Daniel Day Lewis.

• Members

Brian Gaskill. He was mediocre and boring on B&B, hilariously bad in a campy kind of way on ATWT, and then downright abysmal on GL. I'm surprised MAB didn't keep the casting trend of him tearing up the CBS soaps with some atrocious performances. 

For actors through in Ron Moss, Drake Hogestyn, and Frank Dicopoulos of course but their longevity means I tolerated it. Just like Austin Peck, Brandon Beemer, and Kyle Lowder always being shirtless while acting bad. 

Christel Khalil, Terri Conn, Josh Morrow, Mandy Bruno, and Jake Silbermann all deserve recognition of this as well of those who come immediately to mind. 

• Members

This list is just to start cuz there's alot of them

DAYS: Galen Gering(I still cringe during many of his scenes so many years in soaps later), Eric Marstolf (I found him tolerable during Bricole but other than that I can't say I've seen much of a change in his acting since Passions)

Y&R: Christel Khalil(She's gotten worse and sadly I think this is her best), Josh Morrow(To be fair does he even try? One of the laziest actors in Daytime)

GH: Bryan Craig (he's an absolute joke), Haley Erin( her slight improvement is still not good enough), Ryan Paevey(I've seen enough of him on and off GH to know he just can't act yet they keep handing him stories) Lexi Ainsworth(I think she's actually gotten even worse since she's been away from soaps), Maurice Benard(there's not much left to say that hasn't been said in every topic about bad soap actors)

• Members

Drake Hogestyn and Ronn Moss are the obvious choices here. But I give them a pass, because they never tried to be more than they were and had no illusions of being great actors. On the other hand, the epitome of this thread has to be the cringe-worthy Roger Howarth. I don't think this guy showed one iota of growth as an actor in his entire career. To the contrary, he regressed, falling back on his two acting "techniques": the blank stare and sputtering rage. Probably the worst , and definitely the most pretentious, actor in daytime.

Archived