GH: April 2016 Discussion Thread

• Members

The notion that nothing on TV can touch Knots Landing is ridiculous, sorry Carl.  I don't think even David Jacobs would say Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad or whatever couldn't hold a candle to Knots.   I have a feeling even Daniel J Travanti and everyone else who ever walked down Hill Street would say The Wire was a better show.   You are looking at some shows with some very rose colored glasses.    I don't know what past glories GoT or BB or Sopranos or pick your emmy favorite critical darling from the last dozen years or so has been ripping off.   What past glories do you see as being ripped off?   Crappy 30something and the wannabe shlock that currently airs on ABC?  (and I have no idea if any of those shows are 30something wannabes but they are all aimed at women so close enough for me),   Scandal?  Nashville?   Which show that fails to register on the pop culture radar are you seeing as robbing from TV past? 

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I apply the sauce for the gander, sauce for the goose rule of thumb to fat-shaming. I always saw Kim Zimmer shamed on soap forums.

Any non-pregnant actress who works for ABC and gains weight is warned. Forcing women to be underweight has been a pattern with ABC for a long time, and it hasn't gotten better. There's a reason most of the women on GH are seriously underweight and it's definitely not accidental. The only woman I have seen whose weight increased on GH in recent years was NLG, who seemed to have gained some (probably) menopausal pounds that are mostly gone now. I would be surprised if she wasn't warned to get her weight down.

With the exception of Sean Kanan who was treated execrably and shamed publicly, men on GH have been allowed to gain weight, apparently without censure. Do we know for a fact that anything has been said to Billy Miller? I seriously doubt it.

I remember all those years Steve Burton was allowed to blow up like the Thanksgiving turkey during football season. At one point he said JFP told him he was to do a shirtless love scene in 7 weeks. The love scene happened, but Burton never took off his spandex wife-beater.

• Members

That isn't what I said. I said soapy, soap-related shows. Would you really say the likes of Revenge, or even the Shonda shows that seem to burn out after a few years, or Empire, etc. are as good as Knots was?

As for the last part, the fact that you're using a show that went off over 10 years ago (Sopranos) as part of any current "golden age" kind of says it all.

• Members

It's terrible to think ABC, or any network, would not allow their actresses to maintain normal, healthy weights, especially when it seems to be part of a double standard.

As far as I'm concerned, only one era can lay claim to being the Golden Age of Television, and it's the 1950's and early '60's.  Don't get me wrong, we've had tons of great shows since then, helmed by and featuring tons of talented people.  But they all were influenced and inspired by the mavericks and pioneers who came out of the industry's earliest era.  There will NEVER be another director like John Frankenheimer, or producer like Fred Coe, or writer like Paddy Chayefsky, or actor like Paul Newman.

• Members

From everything I have read and everyone I have conversed with, both on this board and elsewhere, it seems like the Golden Age of Soaps were the late 1960's and '70's.  That was when the individual shows attempted to be more daring in terms of subject matter without alienating the core, conservative audience of decades past.

• Members

Jeez! Please stop the madness and let Hayley Erin go. Chem testing her with Dillon? As for BC's ranting again today, now would be the perfect time to recast, while Morgoon is away at the hospital. 

Had to laugh today when Sonny called him "Carrrrlosssssssssss"

Jillian needs to get killed off. His smarminess returned with his mob ties. 

• Members

Morgoon was ranting about needing to be there for Kaka. 

In other news, I posted on Soap Shows the other day that I thought the CDC should call Dr. Finn to Antarctica and Roxy dies of exposure.  I was, in turn, called a horrible human being for wishing the death of an innocent bearded dragon. I reminded him/her that Roxy is a character. 

Archived