Y&R: April 2016 Discussion Thread

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is one instance of Chuckie changing character behavior ithat is welcomed.  Keep in mind though, he was writing her as desperate for a man 4 months ago, to serve the purpose of that ludicrous Neil revenge story.

Another example of characters behaving OOC with no through line unless it fits into his brand of "storytelling".

• Members

Well, if you need to change a character's personality to do a story, change it again for the next one and then change it back to the former personality for another story... I guess it's all worth it for that high-ratings, Emmy-worthy drama! :lol:

• Members

Pratt just doesn't get it: keeping audiences on their toes as far as the characters are concerned is fine -- but you have to be able to go back through the story and track it all.  If you lose the through-line for the characters and their actions, then you wind up thinking the characters are just psychotic beasts.

• Members

Completely agree. I'm glad that he's not afraid to test things out, but after 15 months, some longer-term storytelling has to take hold - not just threads. Granted, the paragon/passkey/Marco has been salvaged far better than the originating three stories, but still. Though I do applaud them for having the courage to wrap within a few quick episodes storylines that they don't believe work and moving quickly to the next. It's a bit jarring, but I rather see that than bad s/l going on and on. 

I hope Hilary doesn't get declawed to be Devon's stepford wife. Let's face it, the return of Phyllis and Hilary has been far better for storytelling, entertainment and, honestly, for both actors. I

On a side note, I'm so happy to see CLB suddenly in the thick of things, proving Michael is still a viable character when used under the right circumstances.

• Members

Those prison scenes yesterday were terrible.  Ian wondering around the jail.  The warden showing up at apparently a very late hour to talk to TGVN.  Please.  The "No Spitting" sign made me go HMMMM.....

I do like seeing CG back, snarky as ever.  Her calling Natalie "twizzlestick" was good.  That was the only bright spot yesterday.

• Members

Yes to CG's return. My favorite line Mariah to Kevin: "Go make Mama proud." 

The prison scenes are dreadful. Although, I did like today's episode with Victor/Nikki remembering "THE WEDDING," it was well done with just right amount of flashbacks. Except for Hilary - and kudos to her dialogue writer - the rest of episode was eh. I really get the sense that the person writing Hilary probably writes Mariah (and Natalie when she was pretending to be Mariah with her snarky comments). 

• Members

Mishael Morgan definitely prefers playing devious Hilary. Its who she was hired to play anyway. I don't think she will ever be Devon's stepford wife. Those BTS dont care if he looks emasculated. He is jack 2.0. They'll only change her if they pair her with a lead, like adam, Nick, or Neil again, whose leading ladies they always try to make into heroines of the show. Devon doesn't rate that. 

I don't know whether if its cause Bryton is considered supporting or what but when Hilary is with devon and only him (meaning not a triangle with Neil), she gets to interact with many characters outside the Winters family. It was like that when they were being paired in late 2013/early 2014 prior to changing direction to Neil. But as soon as she started with Neil, it was scene after scene with him only. To her detriment, she spent 95% of her airtime with him as all his leading ladies do. All the other interaction with Jill and jack just dried up.  But now that she's back to Devon only, she's interacting outside the bubble. 

• Members

Finally saw Chancellor set in Thurs episode.  WTFFFFFFFF.  That is the single, most asinine update to the iconic set; a complete and utter lack of vision- not honoring show and finding a way to update and reinterpret.  LAZY and a big F.U. to Bell/Cooper.  That blue, grey with the red door..looks like cheaply built set to shoot Pottery Barn Kids -Boys- furniture samples.  

• Members

^ What did Pottery Barn for Kids ever do to you to deserve such insult?

I truly can't get over how godawful that set is. I get that things have to change on soaps, but that set would be ugly even if it were just a brand new set and not supposed to be related to the mansion in any way.

• Members

I'm not one to comment on sets, but I have to agree the revamp of the mansion is downright hideous. The colors simply don't work and it looks cheap. Contrast that with the Neville Lab, which is airy, clean, modern yet classic. It's hard to believe those two sets are from same show. I get why they believed they couldn't put Billy back 'home' but this is just bad. I want Jill to walk in and rip Billy a new one. I mean even Summer has a better set!

Archived