London

• Members

Is anyone else watching the slave period drama on WGN America? It stars Aldis Hodge (Leverage), Jurnee Smollett-Bell (The Great Debaters) and Christopher Meloni (Law & Order SVU).

I was hesitant because I know I can get emotional on the topic of slavery but it really is a good show so far and we're only two episodes in. I didn't see some of the happening coming and I do like that.

I love the stand-out characters of Hodge as well as Rosalee's (Jurnee) mom, Ernestine played by Amirah Vann. She's breathtaking and I think probably all her kids are from the master's but so far I can only tell that her youngest is.

I hate the master's wife, she's so ugh.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have been mesmerized until I saw Jussie Smollett in the preview.  Damn it!  

Ernestine is one smart bitch, and altho she's a slave, she owns that house.  I was rolling when she got that kid to go along and pretend he took that seal but heartbroken when the slaves had to hold those logs and the last group standing wouldn't give up.  Aldis Hodge is amazing!  

• Members

@ChitHappens I finally saw Ernestine as being useful the last episode b/c I was NOT feeling her the first two episodes. It was genius how she got the son to take the wrap for taking the seal. 

I did tweet the other night that the slaves should've been poisoning their master b/c I would've been. The log scene was just too hard to watch.

• Members

Prior to last week's show, Ernestine only had to look out for her own.  Now, she had to look out for all the slaves on that plantation.  Ernie knows her kids are safe (when they are with her of course), and she can't be touched.  She owned the show, IMO.  

• Members

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS! I love her so much. She's the boss, and you can tell the wife loathes her because she has her husband's eye among other things. I hated when she wanted Rosalee to go and get her son from that guy when they startled his horses and made all that stuff break. I realize James (her youngest) is the Master's but are Rosalee and the older brother too?

Agreed about that log scene but I loved Noah encouraging them.

• Members

Just finished last week's episode. F'n  love Ernestine. Thank gawd Jussie's role was a one off. Nice to see James Lafferty get a part, I liked him on OTH. Popping popcorn for this week's episode right now.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG! Frog Jack is a mess with him trying to turn on the slaves once he found out the reward money for each person. 

WTF is Cato's deal? I mean really? I wish he never would have joined because he's only out for himself, poor Zeke. That scene was crazy when he was just doing all that killing on adrenaline and he wouldn't go down. Cato has got to get his eventually, I'm not saying kill him because I think the character is charismatic but something needs to happen to him.

Archived