GH: March 2016 Discussion Thread

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This show is a disaster on a level I have never seen before. Ron's GH this time last year was just as terrible, but in a different way. This feels like Weekend at Bernie's. Every story is either half-thrown-together and a boring afterthought (poor Laura and the key, Kristina/Parker) or just flat-out insane and totally inappropriate for this show (Crimson/Nina, Franco/Liz, all things Morgan and Kiki, Olivia's titties, Michael Easton the Lizard King). It's like they're propping up a corpse and marking time with whatever comes into their heads. It feels roughly as off-brand as JFP and Megan McTavish's GH - all the components are vaguely familiar but the stories and scripts are just not right. Whereas in the spring and summer of GH last year the show just felt totally bonkers and alien, and it was awful - but it didn't feel dead. I think that feeling of banality and death comes from when you pair FV with colossally bad writers and it seems like everyone is just running out the clock. I've seen it before, it was the same with Dena Higley at OLTL when he EP'ed.

(And no Chit, this is not me advocating for bringing Ron back. They can both be bad.)

• Members

Truth.  The show has had wildly uneven patches before.  When Monty came back.  When the Cullitons were left without Guza outlines.  The pair of head writers after the Cullitons before Guza's return.  Garin Wolf.  But Monty, Riche, and even JFP KEPT it feeling and looking like GH.  Except during McTavish and now.  It's bad TV, bad soap, and it feels off is so many ways it is hard to watch, even if the characters are on that you like.

I lay the blame for shitty lighting and weird continuity and terrible casting at Frank's feet.  Who convinced him that everything should be grey and silver and that nightclub scenes should be lit with blue mood lighting?  Anna looked like she had blue teeth.

But the boring pacing and lifeless tone and stupidity I lay at Passanap and Sleepy Altman.

Archived